BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

AC12 : Error "Hide ArchiCAD" on OSX 10.5.4

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hide button in Finder does not work properly.
First attempts without succes. Finally ArchiCAD disappears (yes!) but can't be activated again :

- ArchiCAD file is still in dock / no access
- stop button doesn't work
- no force quit available

Any ideas?
16 REPLIES 16
Stress Co_
Advisor
Joeri wrote:
no force quit available
Command (apple key)+Option+ESC
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Stress wrote:
Joeri wrote:
no force quit available
Command (apple key)+Option+ESC
This was my first guess also but the AC12 instance was not listed.
All other applications including AC11 were.

Finally succeeded holding the Option button + Stop in dock menu = Force Quit.

Thanks anyway. J
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
I too have found that Hide ArchiCAD no longer works, either from the Dock fly-out, ArchiCAD menu, or Cmd-H. This is ArchiCAD 11 not 12. Since I know it was working recently it may have been an OS upgrade. I’m at 10.5.5 now. Interestingly Hide Others when in the Finder hides everything but ArchiCAD. So it may have started with an OS upgrade but it only affects ArchiCAD. Anybody else seeing this?
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Dwight
Newcomer
Why would anyone want to hide Archicad?

I had that problem at one time.

Yet another way to know that it is time to upgrade, say, before the disaster of attempting to hide Archicad making your display explode [that motivated me.]
Dwight Atkinson
Rod Jurich
Contributor
Geoff wrote:
/........ Anybody else seeing this?
Greetings Geoff, it is quite strange that when a second AC session is open
Cmd+H works on the second but not the first to open.
Yet on occasion after re-launching Finder AC will sometimes hide.
At least in 12 you can hide all background windows and minimise the 2D window to clear the desktop temporarily.
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Karl Ottenstein
I find it works sometimes, but not always. Have not seen a pattern. I have not had a problem restoring AC after having hidden it, but at some point, cmd-H stops doing anything. Works again after relaunch.

Aha. Found it. In my WE, the shortcut cmd-H is assigned to 'Find Selection' from pre-historic times, which is only an available command while editing a GDL object. After opening and then closing the GDL editor, cmd-H will no longer hide ArchiCAD.

Loading the standard AC 12 WE has no problem with hiding - cmd-H is not assigned to anything else in the WE. Removing the text (GDL) editor shortcut to cmd-H makes my own work environment work correctly.

HTH,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Restart solved it. I knew it wasn’t a WE issue since I’d experienced and fixed that in the past, and know it was working just recently.

Even with everything working correctly I notice that ArchiCAD and the Finder have some relationship issues. If I hide ArchiCAD and then switch back to it all the windows and palettes reopen but the menus are still the Finder’s, or whatever app I was using. What’s more, those menus don’t work. Click = nothing. I must switch apps again to get the ArchiCAD menus back.
Picture 1.png
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
To resume, we have found 3 (different?) relationship issues between AC and Finder (discussed in ohter threads also) :

1. Hide ArchiCAD in Finder : it works from time to time, no real pattern ;
2. AC reopens but Finder’s menus are in front ;
3. Somehow AC gets 'lost in space' and force quit is the only alternative (I don't use spaces). This one is most cumbersome to deal with because it affects file reliability. Again, no real pattern...
Karl Ottenstein
I'm not experiencing these Finder issues. Geoff, your signature says AC 11 - is that where you are seeing this? I did have more problems with 10 and 11 than with 12 under OS 10.5

Joeri, you are seeing these Finder issues with 12?

Thanks,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!