Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Interior/Exterior Elevation Markers doom!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
The way we work is a little weird. We have not yet tapped into the joys of teamwork and therefore go through some interesting complications. For example. The model itself is still being designed, but we are putting together our construction documents. I am tasked with window wall elevations and interior elevation markers. The work is done in a separate file, an older model, with the hopes that when the architect is done, I can just copy/paste the markers into the new file and voila! Nope. I know user error is involved so I am asking for help. I choose all the markers in one file using cntrl + F to find them all, hit cntrl + C to copy and then go to the newest model file and press cntrl + V to paste and sometimes it works and sometimes(95% of the time) it doesn't. Any ideas on an easier way to do this?? Thank you.

JC
3 REPLIES 3
Erika Epstein
Booster
Josh,
Try setting up the different systems as hotlinks. For example, the building skin that you are working can be hotlinked back into the main file. Since you started that file from an older version, the skin should be correctly aligned with the rest of the building.

Using hot-linked files is tremendously easy and facilitates work flow. It can be used in conjunction with Teamwork (when you get there).

As for placing the Interior Elevation Markers, without teamwork, you might have to schedule working in the main file to place them. You need to place the extents of each interior elevation. You could copying the latest floor plan file, place the IE and then copy/paste them into the main file. This would save you some time.

This may lead to a discussion about differences in work assignments and work flow for this [new to your office] CAD.

Teamwork is really quite easy to set up and use when you are ready.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika!

Thanks again for your reply, I appreciate the help. I will give the hot-linked files a try. As for the markers, that is exactly what we have been doing. Especially with the dimensions too, the problem is that i work on a model that was done the previous week and then pass it off to my superiors to add in the work I have done to the main file. When I select all the markers or dimensions and copy them and then go to paste it in, sometimes they show up and other times when I paste a small marquee pastes in with nothing in it.
That is the part I don't understand. We ARE going to switch to teamwork but we are waiting to finish this project before we start the office (50% new employees w/o Archicad experience, including my self) on the next project.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Josh,
I don't know what your project schedule is, but you might want to go ahead and try teamwork. Do you have a reseller, or someone in Seattle (?) who can get you going? Copy and pasting is not a smart way to work. Even if you are only taking advantage of teamwork some days, it will save you time and reduce errors etc.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"