Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Xref vs. Place External Drawing in ArchiCad 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
New user here. I've been an AutoCad user for years. New job in an office using ArchiCad. Just curious, anyone know the advantages / disadvantages of using the "Xref" or "Place External Drawing" features for AutoCad backgrounds as external content? My understanding from the reference guide is "Place" is better. But does that allow you to control external content layers / display? Is there a previous post on the topic? Thanks!
16 REPLIES 16
Djordje
Ace
Place external drawing does not populate your layer list with all the XRef layers, and it is still snappable. IMHO the best way to use DWGs and DXFs for reference.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Thomas Holm
Booster
But
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=128575#128575

and

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=111690#111690

and

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=115066#115066

The forum Search (to the right of the FAQ link above) is your friend!

Edited: At this time (Feb.10-09), Vistasp's ArchiSearch page is the best:
http://archicadstuff.blogspot.com/
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
"The forum Search (to the right of the FAQ link above) is your friend!"

THANK YOU!! I knew there was a way to search the forum, but couldn't find it in the rush of the end of the day yestreday.
Djordje
Ace
The Forum Search is not to be confused with the Graphisoft Web Site Search, the field in the upper right corner.

So, to repeat: the Search that you are looking for is the one between the FAQ and the Memberlist buttons!
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
How do I place a metric DWG from a consultant into an imperial Archicad PLN at the correct scale?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
When you place the DWG as External Drawing using the Drawing Tool, a Drawing Unit Dialog comes up where you can set how much 1 Drawing Unti of AutoCAD should be equal to how much distance in ArchiCAD.
There is a Custom [inch] and a Custom [meter] option. Use one of them, probably Custom [inch] will suit you needs.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
LINZ wrote:
How do I place a metric DWG from a consultant into an imperial Archicad PLN at the correct scale?
I believe that all you need to do is specify the correct drawing units when you import the file. These will be the units set in the DWG file itself so if metric they will probably be mm or m. If you use inches and it was set to mm the model will be 25.4 times too big so it's easy to figure out if the first try doesn't work.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I want to do very simple thing. Place dwg drawing in a worksheet. When I set the scale of the worksheet to 1:50 - imported dwg displays as it should. When I change the scale to 1:500, all text size in dwg changes ! I DON'T WANT THIS TO HAPPEN ! How do I do this, that I change the scale of the worksheet but dwg text size does not change. Any help much appreciated.
Eduardo Rolon
The problem is on how Archicad deals with fonts and there are 2 options on how to fix it. Option 1 is what I usually do and 2 might be worth the try if you need to import a lot of stuff.
  • 01.A Explode the DWG
    01.B Select the Text Tool and do a select all to grab all the text
    01.C Change the selected Text Settings from "Paper" to "Model"
    01.D Change the Scale of the Worksheet
    01.E Change the Text Settings back to "Paper"
Option 02 is to change the scale of the Text during import, see image
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator