Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

A vertical hollow pipe along the Z-axis of a wall-possible?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am using the MEP tools to do the pipework. Most of it is going well, but I am racking my brains to see how to put a hollow "opening" along the height of the wall so that I may place the vertical pipe in it. I tried the niche window (Sill=0 and height=wall height), but that exposes the pipes and looks terrible.

I have no issues crossing beams and walls (horizontaly) or slabs (verticaly) by putting holes/openings in them.

I tried SOE, but it doesn't work and moreover, I want to denote this in the 2D floor plan too.

Any help would be appreciated.

S
7 REPLIES 7
vistasp
Advisor
Could you post a sketch Solitaire? That would help.
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is the floor plan view of a wall and the two colored areas are the ones that I want to be empty so that I can place water pipes going from the ceiling to the floor level on the storey below.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
solitaire wrote:
I tried SOE, but it doesn't work and moreover, I want to denote this in the 2D floor plan too.
This SEO works: wall, pipe, and slab. Slab is used to create the hole in the wall, then the slabs layer is hidden. The slab can be given a cover fill and shown in the 2D view to create the hole in the plan view.

David
MEP-pipe-in-wall-3D.gif
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can also use a column to make the hole. Place it on a 2D layer, hidden in 3D and Sections, with same priority as walls.
Holes will show in Floor Plan, 3D and Sections.
Djordje
Ace
Why make a hole at all?

Then, who on site will make it round? No SEO in reality.

If you really want a hole, model that part of the wall with the polygonal wall and close the face of the hole with a thinner straight wall. See attached.

It will be done like that in reality. You smash a channel, lay the pipes, close it up.

You don't use SEOs for everything ... remember the first rule of CAD, now VB/BIM:

You should not just because you can.
HoleInThe Wall.jpg
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
solitaire wrote:
This SEO works: wall, pipe, and slab. Slab is used to create the hole in the wall, then the slabs layer is hidden. The slab can be given a cover fill and shown in the 2D view to create the hole in the plan view.

David
Thanks David, I did not try SOE with a slab; just with the pipe itself (me stupid!). Great idea, I will keep this in mind now.

Olivier wrote:
You can also use a column to make the hole. Place it on a 2D layer, hidden in 3D and Sections, with same priority as walls.
Holes will show in Floor Plan, 3D and Sections.
Thanks Olivier, another great solution!
Djordje wrote:
Why make a hole at all?

Then, who on site will make it round? No SEO in reality.

If you really want a hole, model that part of the wall with the polygonal wall and close the face of the hole with a thinner straight wall. See attached.

It will be done like that in reality. You smash a channel, lay the pipes, close it up.

You don't use SEOs for everything ... remember the first rule of CAD, now VB/BIM:

You are right. Despite David's and Oliver's excellent suggestions, I believe that I will go with this, as it will be closest to reality.

A very helpful forum! Have a merry X-mas and a properous 2009.
vistasp
Advisor
solitaire wrote:
I did not try SOE with a slab
Not meaning to nit-pick, Solitaire, but it's SEO - Solid Element Operations. 😉
Djordje wrote:
Isn't that what Clinton (Bill, not Hillary) later said about the whole Monica-gate episode?
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |