BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

GDL TEXT Add on

Anonymous
Not applicable
is anyone know where the GDL Text AddOn write file text ?

where can we find them ? (c:\programmes\graphisoft\....?)
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
From the manual:
It assumes that a folder named “ArchiCAD Data Folder” exists beside ArchiCAD for user defined files. (The name of this folder is defined in
the Add-On resource fork, therefore it can be localized.) If a folder with that name doesn't exist, the Add-On will create one. The folder can
contain subfolders where the extension will look for existing files. It can read and write TEXT type files.
In case your folder name will be localized to French, simply run the add-on to create a file and then look inside your ArchiCAD program folder for a new folder similar to the above containing your output file.

I thought you could also specify a full path in the OPEN command, but I have not tried this command in nearly 8 years and cannot remember.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
yeah, i'm in french so the folder name is "extensions" .

no folder and no files have been created, and i need to create ny own text file out of archicad. but what i need is to have an automatic file's creation.

i tried fullpath and it's the same, i have to choose an existant text file

finally, i do it with the DATA Add/on, it seem to work better

i hope a day they will translate this #^%*@#& documentation in french!!
rocorona
Booster
In Italian localized version, the default folder is called "Cartella dati ArchiCAD", I wonder if the "Extension" is the same folder for French...

I think, if you run a script with
ch = OPEN ("TEXT", "QQQQ.txt", "MODE = WO")
OUTPUT ch, 1,1, "Sample text"
CLOSE ch
then do a search for the "QQQQ.txt" file on your computer, you can sort out it's location.

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
Community Admin
This is my memory, too.
Within the ArchiCAD folder, a folder named ArchiCAD Data Folder (or its localized equivalent) is created and the TEXT Add-On is supposed to save stuff there.

I have used this Add-On before but I had problems with it, it behaved strangely, not doing what it was supposed to do (this might have been fixed since, I don't know) so I actually switched to using the DATA Add-On which is very similar but it creates sort of "database record" and that was working pretty well for me.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!