Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Ungrouping a hotlink module in source plan file

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anyone have any idea how to ungroup a set of windows,doors,columns and walls from each other when they were groups together in a hotlink. I can no longer modify any of the items individually.
4 REPLIES 4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I am not completely sure that I got what you are asking, but a placed hotlink is like a group of elements that cannot be modified and can be moved only together. Note that groups must not be suspended for the hotlink to be moved as a whole.
If you open the source file of the hotlinked module you can edit element there.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
So does that mean that if I create a hotlink module, I can no longer modify the individual elements in the source plan file. I would have to go to each hotlink module and modify them there? I thought the whole purpose of a hotlink was to save time and allow changes in source file to be automatically transfered to related files.
Anonymous
Not applicable
the purpose of the hotlinking is to allow referencing of a file in another file when there is for example repetition...
so the interior design of a room or a flat or even a whole house, replicated several times in another file (the host file) which would be a flat, a building or a whole site in the examples stated.
the idea being that if you change the module and then updated it in the host file, all instances could be updated in one step, rather that doings multiple copies of the same thing in one file and the having to revise each one.
i hope this makes sense to you and can help you understand the concept of hotlinking.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, this does make sense. I was able to make the changes I needed with the help of your explanation. Thanks for the help.