Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

ability to set element hierarchy for dimensioning

jbArch
Newcomer
Especially when I am adding dimension to interior elevations, I've noticed that the dimension tool wants to "pick" the wrong item.

In other words, if I have a fill and a line in the same location, it always wants to dimension to the fill... but 90% of the time I'd rather dimension to the line. Of course you can use TAB to choose the line, but wouldn't it be nice to be able to set a default hierarchy so that AC will dimension to your preferred item? So ideally I could set my AC to pick lines first, then TAB to fills when needed.

The lazy solution is to just go ahead and dimension to the fill, but then later I might move it or delete it, and my dims will disappear.

The problem with relying on TAB is that sometimes I'm holding down CMD to add a dimension point. If I then hit TAB, I have CMD+TAB which is the application switcher.

Maybe a minor grievance, but it seems silly to ever dimension to fills, so why make it the default?
AC 21 (8002) & 22 USA
Mac OSX 10.14.5 on MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Intel i7, 16GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB VRAM, 500GB SSD
2 REPLIES 2
Erika Epstein
Booster
You can change the active tool to the one you want, Line in your example, just like in selection, this will make the program's first choice that of the active tool rather than going to the default queue of tools.

Also, don't forget to vote in your own poll
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
jbArch
Newcomer
Ah, that's clever... thanks for the tip. I guess you still have to TAB when you first draw the dimension line, but your trick is great for adding dim. points.

I suppose it would still be nice if you could set a hierarchy for both selection and dimensioning, e.g. when you just have the pointer arrow selected instead of a tool.

cheers,
JB
AC 21 (8002) & 22 USA
Mac OSX 10.14.5 on MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Intel i7, 16GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB VRAM, 500GB SSD