Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

trim roof to wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi all,

if I have trimmed a wall to a roof, and then want to trim the roof to the wall so they meet along the edge, how would i do that? it seems like no matter what I do the roof will never snap to the new top edge of the wall. there are snap nodes where the top of the wall used to be, but is there a way to "embed" the trim into the wall so that i can get snap points at the new intersections?

thanks in advance!
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
by the way, i have found the cube prim and elasticube gdl objects and they work great, but in the plan view the walls obviously don't have any thickness, so I'd like to accomplish this with walls and/or roofs.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
A screenshot of the situation would be helpful.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
I think what evant is referring to is that the cursor will respond to the top corners of a typical wall, but not to the new corners of the top of a wall that has been cut using SEO or Trim to Roof commands. Objects can be written with 3D Hotspots that will respond to the cursor as the shape of the object is altered. A picture is always helpful when describing these sorts of issues.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
i tried to post an image last night but it never took. here's another try.

again, i want to snap the vertices of the roof to the points on the top of the wall where they have been cut by the roof - not where the tops of the walls USED to be.
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
I think what evant is referring to is that the cursor will respond to the top corners of a typical wall, but not to the new corners of the top of a wall that has been cut using SEO or Trim to Roof commands. Objects can be written with 3D Hotspots that will respond to the cursor as the shape of the object is altered. A picture is always helpful when describing these sorts of issues.

David
this is correct. and I'm only dealing with standard generic walls. no outside gdl objects.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
evant wrote:
i tried to post an image last night but it never took. here's another try.

again, i want to snap the vertices of the roof to the points on the top of the wall where they have been cut by the roof - not where the tops of the walls USED to be.
Then this sounds like a wish to me because it is not poosible in AC right now.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Karl Ottenstein
evant wrote:
As Laszlo said, this is an important wish. ArchiCAD does not put hotspots at the cuts.

Encina's OBJECTiVE add-on does put 3D and 2D hotspots where it visually cuts things, permitting the kind of snapping that you want.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB