Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

converting archicad to sketchup file size

Anonymous
Not applicable
When i convert the archicad document to .3ds and bring it into sketchup the file is very slow. Also everything comes in with lots of faces. How can i reduce the file size and prevent this?
11 REPLIES 11
Eduardo Rolon
The main question here is why are you going from AC to SketchUp?
When you export from AC you are creating gazillions of polygons which make a light work program like SketchUp cry, get depressed and move slowly. Atlantis, C4D, Maya, 3DStudio etc. can handle all of the polys but if you are going to use SU then you will have to do a lot of cleanup and export the project in little pieces.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
the project needs to be submitted in sketchup. aside from the file size can i get the faces to read as one face instead of being split?
rocorona
Booster
Interesting question. Why the SketchUp Plugin allows for READING and not for WRITING files in ArchiCAD.
The second seems the more easy task, as the SU models are only composed by lines and surfaces, not distinguishing them in construction elements.

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
The solution is that when you import the 3DS or DWG in SU click on Options and select Merge Coplanar Surfaces.

I totally forgot about this, sorry.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Eduardo Rolon
BTW lpbolden if the above option solved your problem it is an implied custom to acknowledge the fact.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
it worked. Thank you.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, it worked for me as well!

In my case, the reason is to model walls with protruding or extruding polygonal shapes around the windows, like in this example:

http://www.wallpaper.com/architecture/interactive-floor-plan-house-in-charrat/4916

This geometries are very easy to create in Sketch UP (by just selecting and then moving a square previously drawn within a wall)...

But if you know of a better way of doing this, please let me know!
Eduardo Rolon
Though it can be done in AC I agree that it is easier to do the initial modeling in SU.

Though there are advantages if you spend the time doing the model in AC.

Example playing with the door reveal settings
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks ejrolon!!

I had the feeling that there must be a trick (one of those reserved to advanced users...), so thanks for sharing your wisdom!!