Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Roof Problem

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have only picked ArchiCad up in the past 4 weeks. I am doing a Building Surveying degree, and we have to produce a dr's surgery and some retirement bungalows. We were suggested to use Autocad, but i thought Archicad was a more powerful programme.

Im having a problem with the gable end of the roof on my bungalows, the wall wont go all the way up, and i dont know how to trim the front gable to the main roof.

I need to sort the end's out so i can print an elevation. (Equally, if somone knows and can explain how to put the detailing on the elevations for printing i would appreciate that aswell)

Can anyone help me please! A very stressful newbie 😞

James
6 REPLIES 6
Erika Epstein
Booster
Hi James,
In archicad you must make the height of theend gable wall at least as tall as the highest point of the roof. Once this wall and roof overlap even an iota, then you can trim using either the Trim to Roof command or Solid Element Operations. The latter establishes a relationship between the roof such that if you vary the roof height, the top of the wall trim will adjust accordingly.

Please add to your profile your AC OS version.

HTH
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the reply, but i have already done that, and i cant get it to work.

If i could trim one roof to another roof, that would solve it, as they are at right angles to each other.
Karl Ottenstein
Ah. Sounds like you are not talking about a gable end, but rather a gable dormer?

Here is an old way of doing things:
http://www.graphisoft.com/archiguide_archive/ArchiGuide_Online_6o/issue15/dormerexp.html

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Thomas Holm
Booster
spooner wrote:
If i could trim one roof to another roof, that would solve it...
Easy. Select one, Ctrl (Cmd) -click an edge of the other. It will adjust. Then select the other, and Ctrl-click the edge of the first. Voilà!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
rocorona
Booster
Easy. Select one, Ctrl (Cmd) -click an edge of the other. It will adjust. Then select the other, and Ctrl-click the edge of the first. Voilà!
Yes. It is easy, but remember:
- you need to make the correct number of sides for the connecting roofs. The procedure will NOT add the needed nodes, only adjust the shape.
- you need to Ctrl-Click the side that will connect with the other (selected) roof. I.e. the side that will be COMMON with the two planes, not just ONE side of the other roof.

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
Legend, thank you very much.. 😄
Karl wrote:
Ah. Sounds like you are not talking about a gable end, but rather a gable dormer?

Here is an old way of doing things:
http://www.graphisoft.com/archiguide_archive/ArchiGuide_Online_6o/issue15/dormerexp.html

Karl