BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Calculation anomalies

Craig Bagley
Contributor
An AC 11 question:

Not that it matters much, but can anyone explain why I get slightly different values for the volume of a column depending on where the value appears? In my particular case:

Bill of Quantities (IS) says 9.56 cu. ft.
Element Information Palette says 9.67 trimmed and 9.62 untrimmed (and why is "trimmed" a higher value than "untrimmed"?)
An Element List says 9.67 (consistent with the Element Information Palette)

As far as I can tell, nothing is intersecting the column. Calculation preferences for volume are set to "cubic feet" and 2 decimals. Extra Accuracy is "Off". There is no veneer to the column.

If I use a calculator, I get 9.62 cu. ft. without any significant rounding (14" round x 9' high).

Using feet for calculation and the rounding preferences (2 decimals, including for pi) on my calculator generates a slightly lower number 9.51 (using .58 for 7"), too low to explain the differences noted above.

I note that column parameters in the IS Scheme Settings include "Core Volume", "Veneer Volume", and "Volume of the Column". I would expect the calculation methods to be the same for wherever the value appears, but maybe they're not.

Over the years I've noticed on occasion minor differences (<1%) between what an Element List shows and what my calculator will produce. Anyone else experience this?
AC20 USA/Build 8005
15" MBP, 16 GB RAM
macOS 10.13.6
0 REPLIES 0
Learn and get certified!