Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Google Earth Addon

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi - just wondering if anyone know how to use the Google Earth addon to get coloured images into ArchiCad. I can get it to import images into ArchiCad but it always comes in a grey Sacle images not Colour??

Many thanks
11 REPLIES 11
Karl Ottenstein
Use the forum search. I posted this several times. You need to save an image from GE (File > Save Image) to get the color image and then replace the B/W ones. The same issue and solution happens with SketchUp.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Scott Bulmer
Booster
Hi Karl - I'm sorry to bother you with this, but I could not find another posting with the explanation for replacing the B&W image with the color equivalent.

I have successfully saved the color image from GE. In the AC14 Library Manager I see the GE Object as well as the original B&W image in the Embedded Google Earth Library, but am unclear how to overwrite or replace that B&W file. Thanks for any thoughts, Scott
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Scott,

Here is one of the posts/threads:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=140191#140191

That one is based on exporting the terrain from SketchUp as a 3ds file - and then replacing each saved grayscale image with the corresponding (individually saved) color image.. renaming of course so that the color one will be loaded.

Same idea if you have images in a library from the connection add-on; just replace each with the color version, being sure to keep the name used by the library version, then reload libraries.

I've had a "to do" for over a year to write up a Wiki article on this, but just have not gotten there yet. So, hope this makes sense?

Cheers,
Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Scott Bulmer
Booster
Thanks Karl - I admit I am confused, and not the first time.

As I understand it, when GE makes a snapshot and imports it into AC, it comes in as an object with an associated jpg. That object and jpg reside in the Google Earth Embedded Library. I do not see how I can access that Embedded Library folder so as to overwrite the black & white jpg with the color version.

I have tried exporting the object and map from the library manager to a new Linked Library folder, then loading that folder, however that folder is not present when the Object Tool is selected. What else could I be doing wrong?

Scott
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
Karl Ottenstein
Scott wrote:
I have tried exporting the object and map from the library manager to a new Linked Library folder, then loading that folder, however that folder is not present when the Object Tool is selected. What else could I be doing wrong?
Hi Scott,

I haven't tried the add-on, since I use the circuitous SketchUp route as the only option on the Mac.

But, extracting an embedded folder from Lib Mgr, deleting the embedded stuff, and then loading the extracted folder should give identical results - and then let you modify the folder, and finally re-embed it (if needed).

Not sure why it is not working for you! I may have to load the add-on on my Windows laptop and try it...

Karl
Scott Bulmer
Booster
Thank you Karl, again...it worked.

Process as follows:
1 Open AC14 as well as Google Earth (GE)
2 In GE, zoom to the site, expanded to include the necessary context.
3 In GE, File>Save>Save Image (for color jpg). Should create a new folder for the image(s) as well as for an exported Linked Library (to be created described in the following steps).
4 Without moving the point of view in GE, back in AC select File>GE Connections>Snapshot.
5 Place snapshot in the Story window (model area plan view). Note that an object is created with a black and white aerial image mapped onto it.
6 In AC Library Manager, a new Embedded Library 'Google Earth' is automatically added. Select the GE Embedded Library and export a Linked Library to the folder you created in step 3.
7 In Mac Finder or Window's Explorer, browse to the exported GE Linked Library and overwrite the black & white JPG file(s) with the separately saved color JPG.
8 Back in the Library Manager in AC, Add the modified GE Linked Library and delete the GE Embedded Library.

With the exception of the scale being haywire, everything else should look pretty good.

Note that the above process assumes you have downloaded and installed Google Earth as well as the GE add-on for AC, available for Windows only (D'oh!).
Karl Ottenstein
Thanks for writing up the steps, Scott!

Cheers,
Karl
rob2218
Enthusiast
along these "importing" lines from Google Earth.
How do you capture the 3d buildings that are on Google Earth??

Anyone, Bueller, Bueller, anyone???
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
Karl Ottenstein
This was asked in another thread recently. AFAIK, there is no way. The buildings are on a GE layer, and only the terrain is captured. If the buildings have a corresponding model in the Google Warehouse, you can grab the building there ... but then have to geo-locate it all over again. The basic translucent masses that Google themselves created when they first introduced that layer do not appear anywhere for download AFAIK.

But, I haven't looked into it in a year or two ... so this may be out of date info...

Cheers,
Karl