Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

AC12 MAC problem with Fonts

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm on AC12 on several macs in a work environment. Our problem is, we always used the font called Tahoma on PC with Archicad. This font contains letters for the hungarian language too. (eg: éáőp...)
I've read on this forum that if I install the tahoma true type font into the Mac HD:library:fonts and restart the machine, AC 12 should see the font....

I've tried and checked everithing but the tahoma true type font will not appear in the list in AC.

Please help It's very important.
21 REPLIES 21
Eduardo Rolon
"Mac HD:library:fonts" is one location were Fonts reside in Mac OS, this is not your user folder and that is the reason why it does not show up.

You should have installed the font using the Font Book application, dropping the font in the folder does not means that it is installed correctly. Either open Font Book and select "File -> Add Fonts" or Double click the Font file and Font book should Open and let you import it.

BTW Tahoma is a Microsoft font that is usually distributed with MS Office, if you don't have Office or a License of Windows you might not be licensed to use it.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Thomas Holm
Booster
In addition to what Eduardo says, you might have to use some utility to clear OSX's font caches. Font Cache Cleaner, or OnyX will do it.

Then use Disk Utility to Repair permissions.

AppleJack is another good utility that can fix various issues.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you, I've intalled the font via Fontbook checked it It's up and running in iWork and in Office for mac 2008 too. But it is not showing up in AC yet. Downloading fontcache cleaner atm.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Cleared up the cache files all of them.. restarted even twice. Tahoma is ok in office and iwork and in fontbbok but still nothing in ac
Eduardo Rolon
PulaiG,

You are correct, mine does not show within AC though it is available to other software. I am at a loss here, nothing on the Wiki either.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'ce installed the font Tahoma on my mac mini right now and Ac is recognising the font. The font file is located ONLY at Macintosh HD:Users:....:Library:Fonts folder. It is recognised by all the applications and Fontobook too. The question is, HOW CAN THIS BE??? The same thing is on my mac pro and macbook pro but i can not see the font in ac there.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey, has anyone solved this yet?? I have the exact same problem. I use Tahoma for everything, every program on my Mac can use this font except this product. This is a real problem for me. Since purchasing AC 6 years ago, all of my templates and projects use Tahoma and all previous versions of ArchiCAD never had a problem with it. have been blaming companies of some of my add-ons, but after installing AC12 on a clean Mac, I see the problem is Graphisoft. I have used Font Cache Cleaner and OnyX, but they do not work -- because Mac is not the problem!

This is what I have found:
I took my Mac to an Apple Store and they noticed that AC12 is recreating a new file every time it opens called "cadi_FontsPool.txt". It places that file in "Applications:Graphisoft:ArchiCAD 12:ArchiCAD Data Folder". That file becomes the font override for the entire program -- NOT your loaded fonts or their location on your HD. This file is the new source file AC12's fonts. I have tried deleting it, overriding it, locking it so it cannot be altered, but AC either overrides it or struggles to work unless this file is created every time upon opening and used by AC. My problem is Tahoma, but this is not the only file that AC12 will not recognize when it creates "cadi_FontsPool.txt".

Someone at Graphisoft needs to fix this ASAP! Someone please help.
Rod Jurich
Contributor
SmileyMan wrote:
/........"cadi_FontsPool.txt". /...
Smiley, do you have any Cadimage software loaded?
I am almost certain that it is a file they create, along with different
fills/lines/zone categories etc.
I doubt very much GS has any control over this annoying practice
by 3rd party developers.

You can have Tahoma in AC.
You just need to move the font in Font Book to your USER folder.

-o0o-

Just tested to see what, if any files as you describe, are created in
the ArchiCAD Data Folder and there was not.

All my Cadimage software is presently not loaded!!
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, I had some CadImage software loaded. But that is not it. I uninstalled everything AC related -- all add-ons included -- back to a native Mac with Leopard.

Unfortunately I still have font problems. In the process I found that the cadi_FontsPool.txt file is not the issue. You were right to suggest that it is a CadImage file, but the problem still exists when AC12 is installed without any add-ons or 3rd party software.

I have been on the phone with Graphisoft most of the day, have been on the phone with Apple, and spent time with their techs in the Apple Store. I have also had help from CadImage Solutions, who have been very helpful. We can recreate the problem by just installing the product for the first time on a new Mac with Leopard. Interestingly the problem does not happen every time, but it does happen. The best suggestion came from a flippant ending comment by an Apple technician, who happens to create fonts for his graphic design business on the side. Apparently Apple significantly changed how they cache font files in 10.5. Since AC12 was created initially for and works seamlessly with Tiger 10.4, this does not mean they took the time to properly update and identify the subtle operating system changes new in Leopard 10.5.

To some degree, this is making sense. I have no problem with AC12 on my Tiger computer, but I do on Leopard. CadImage Solutions found similar problems. For the computers where there was not an immediate problem upon install on Leopard, the problem seemed to still exist, but be lying dormant until a 'trigger'... either an AC12 update, goodies added, or 3rd party software.

I am still in talks with Graphisoft and will post any further information when I get it.