Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

transfering information from one file to another

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have several files each containing a separate building which belong to the same project.

Is there a way to transfer a master page from one file to another. And similarly, can I transfer the project info from one file to another. It would be frustrating if I have to set this up for each file individually.

I don't see anything in this area in the Attribute Manager.

Thanks in advance

/using v10
10 REPLIES 10
TomWaltz
Participant
It would be nice, but no.

Sometimes I will make an object out of the title/book info so it can me loaded into multiple files.
Tom Waltz
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
You could make a copy of the file with the master, strip it down and merge it into the other file.

But you'll need to be very careful, as the merge will also bring in all of the layers, layer combinations, pen sets, linetypes, fills, composites, complex profiles, materials, zone categories, and layouts. So you'll have to really strip it down - worth it if you have plenty of files to merge it into though.

Cheers,
Link.
Karl Ottenstein
nikana wrote:
Is there a way to transfer a master page from one file to another. And similarly, can I transfer the project info from one file to another.
Unless I don't understand your question, this is really easy.

To get the master, open Organizer and Browse to the file with the correct master, and then just drag it into the current project.

To get the Project Info the same in all files, just use Save in the Proj Info dialog that has the correct info, and Load in the dialogs for all other files.

See screenshots, one below...

Karl
drag-master.gif
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
second screenshot...
proj-info.gif
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Karl wrote:
To get the master, open Organizer and Browse to the file with the correct master, and then just drag it into the current project.
Good Lord - was that introduced in a recent hotfix or something? I was sure we couldn't do that (with masters) earlier.

Thanks Karl.

Cheers,
Link.
Djordje
Ace
Link wrote:
Karl wrote:
Good Lord - was that introduced in a recent hotfix or something? I was sure we couldn't do that (with masters) earlier.
Ahem ... Was there ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Karl Ottenstein
Link wrote:
Thanks Karl.
You're welcome...I think that now makes the score something like:
Link: 173
Karl: 1
Really evens us up, mate! 😉

Cheers,
Karl
TomWaltz
Participant
Link wrote:
Karl wrote:

Thanks Karl.

Cheers,
Link.
that's been there for quite a while. I just always wished it allowed you to link them instead of importing/exporting.
Tom Waltz
Karl Ottenstein
TomWaltz wrote:
I just always wished it allowed you to link them instead of importing/exporting.
This brings up yet another glaring ArchiCADinconsistency, this time about Layout mode:

You cannot 'save selection as module' or 'place module' when any layout is active - normal or master.

If we could do so, then one workaround for linked masters would be to have a hotlinked module that contained the master layout content and reference it into the masters of all related projects.... among other possibilities.

Next workaround would be to save the master content as a GDL object...but "Save selection as...(object)" is not an active menu item for master layouts, only for normal ones.

So...you can COPY all master content, then PASTE it onto a fresh layout, SELECT ALL on that layout, and then SAVE SELECTION AS... a GDL object in your library. Then, you can place that object on any masters that need the common content. To edit the master content in all projects that use that master, just modify the special layout content, resave the GDL object, and rebuild.

Ah, they make it so easy... 😉

Karl