BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Dimension to CENTER of walls

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone know how to dimension to the CENTER of walls? My construction line is set to the center, but the dimension tool keeps measuring from each edge of the wall, instead of its center.

Thank you!!!

Elizabeth
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Select the node of the reference line at the end of the wall.

Brian
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks - that does work.

Too bad the automatic dimensioning tool doesn't have a setting to measuring by wall centers like it does for column centers. Oh, well, maybe next version...

Elizabeth
TomWaltz
Participant
That's something I've been wishing for since Archicad 8... though I had an interesting discussion with a contractor last week who told me how much he hated dealing with dimensions to centerline. He wanted to see dimensions to face of stud/block so that he knew exactly where to strike the chalk lines as quickly as possible.

Just struck me since I've used center lines for a long time!
Tom Waltz
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
TomWaltz wrote:
Just struck me since I've used center lines for a long time!
This strikes me because I've always heard that contractors prefer center lines.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
It is easier to layout walls on the floor sheathing using
face of stud dimensions rather than offsetting the
layout marks 1 3/4" from the center lines of walls.
Though the plans are less cluttered dimensioning to centers,
I want to make what I design as easy as possible to build
so I use the face of stud method of dimensioning.
Peter Devlin
TomWaltz
Participant
The guy I talked to had the same reasoning as Peter. It made me wonder why someone would prefer center lines. For an architect, it makes for less dimensions, but I wondered how it would be easier to build. Does anyone know?
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Tom,
I can think of one context where dimensioning to centers
and laying out centerlines in the field would not be easier
but as easy as the face of stud system and that is
if the walls are steel studs and the bottom plates
have the diamond shaped cutouts that you could
see the centerlines through and could kick the
walls around until the centerlines were centered
in the cutouts.
Peter Devlin
Jefferson
Participant
Allow me, please:
Wearing a tool belt what you want in a set of plans, at least in my residential experience is the simplest path to the correct end result with all the information you want an none you don't. That said, laying out a foundation, wall, floor or roof the "out to out" measurements, as Peter described the outside face of framing is what I want. It is information I need and it is simple and complete. Mistakes are more often than not mathematical on a job site........1/4s + 1/2s are bad enough to deal with. You throw in centerlines and the appropriate offsets, for every wall and I already have headache. Just tell me what the outside dimensions are, and then if you're really good to me you'll give me consistent "same side face" on interior walls. The only time I want or will willingly deal with centerlines and the required math is window and door openings.......[the rough opening varies so much from mfg.. to mfg. it only makes sense to figure those on the job. this also reduces the clutter of too many dimensions.

There you have it, one guy's opinion......
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com
Brad Elliott
Booster
My experience is like Peter's.

Residential wood framing guys like dimensions to face of stud. Usually dimensioned on one side from the exterior wall through the house so they can just hook the tape and go.

Commercial guys working with metal studs like centerlines they can just line up on top of. Also, the stuff I have worked on the TI goes to the center of the wall which works with the centerline dimension.

But no matter how one contractor tells me he likes to do it the next one will do it differently.

None of which answers the initial question. Yes it is a problem and as far as I know you have to click the end node.
Mac OS12.6 AC26 USA Silicon
M1 Macbook Pro
Learn and get certified!