Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

does AC have a Select freeze button?

Anonymous
Not applicable
does AC have something similare to a freeze selected button?
IE, select an item and push the button and it will freeze out the layer that item is on?
would be so much easye rand faster then Ctrl L find layer freeze back to work.
19 REPLIES 19
Erich
Contributor
Yes, look at the quick layers pallet.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
right click menu?
Erich
Contributor
xristina wrote:
right click menu?
True. And this can work well, but there are slight differences. See the following article.

http://aec.cadalyst.com/aec/Column%3A+ArchiCad/Quick-Layers-Palette-ArchiCAD-Insights-Tutorial/Artic...
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Barry Kelly
You can also lock individual elements and not just entire layers (in the EDIT menu).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Karl Ottenstein
I find the QuickLayers palette indispensible. Not sure if I could/would work without it. As mentioned in older threads, the QuickLayers palette does not interact with the WorkEnvironment properly - and so its visibility and position is not 'remembered'. Because of that, I assign a shortcut key to toggle its display. (Since cmd-L is layers, I use cmd-shift-L for QuickLayers.)
Barry wrote:
You can also lock individual elements and not just entire layers (in the EDIT menu).
The only time I've found this useful was when marquee-stretching to keep certain elements from being stretched. E.g., locking the wall layer won't help if you want to stretch some, but not all, walls. Have you or others found good uses for locking individual elements?

Cheers,
karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Erika Epstein
Booster
Karl wrote:
The only time I've found this useful was when marquee-stretching to keep certain elements from being stretched. E.g., locking the wall layer won't help if you want to stretch some, but not all, walls. Have you or others found good uses for locking individual elements?

Cheers,
karl
Yes, I do this often so I have short cut keys to lock and unlock.
And lets not forget that it was Karl who came up with the idea of and taught us all how to make the QUICKLAYERS palette. It was such a fabulous work smart idea that Graphisoft added as a standard!
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Karl Ottenstein
Erika wrote:
And lets not forget that it was Karl who came up with the idea of and taught us all how to make the QUICKLAYERS palette. It was such a fabulous work smart idea that Graphisoft added as a standard!
Thanks, Erika. But, did I? Old and forgetful that I am, I'm not sure that I did? I did do that add-on for AC 9 which became unnecessary in 10 when GS gave us the 'On Screen View Options' toolbar. But, I don't remember doing a QuickLayers-type thing...?

Cheers,
Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Erika Epstein
Booster
Old and forgetful am I I was thinking of your QuickDisplay tool. It did open up another world for many of us to be able to create our own toolbars and that was an advance from 10 onwards which included a Quick Display tool bar.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Karl Ottenstein
Thanks, Erika. But, you don't get to play the old card ... however old you get, I'll always be older. 😉

K