Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

modules

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm exploring modules for the first time in AC11. I created a module file and placed it into my blank document. I then used the multiply tool to make several copies of the module while elevating them at the same time.

When I go to edit the module, I re-save the file, and then go to the Hotlink manager and update the module. It updates the model fine, but the elevation data for each copy gets removed and the models go to 0' elevation, which effectively "flattens" my model.

Shouldn't the hotlinked modules remember their placed heights in the new file?

Imagine I am creating a custom tread for a set of stairs. Once the tread model gets updated, the treads all flatten out to a constant elevation. Please help!
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
Evan wrote:
Shouldn't the hotlinked modules remember their placed heights in the new file?
Yes they should. I have never had a problem with this.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have tried this again with yesterday's hotfix applied and it still does the same thing.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is a screen shot of the issue.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I just tested on my machine. No problems.

There is one quirk I noticed. I tested with walls and moved them up and down in 3D. Since the walls' home story setting was "Automatic", when I updated the modules they shifted their elevation relative to their new story assignment. I don't see how this could be the source of your problem though.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Could it be because you are making copies of the module instead of placing new instances of the module? New instances remember their custom placement (rotation, mirroring etc.). Copies will be updated per the original.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika wrote:
Could it be because you are making copies of the module instead of placing new instances of the module? New instances remember their custom placement (rotation, mirroring etc.). Copies will be updated per the original.
I haven't seen any difference between making copies and placing new instances. In all cases they are updated according to any relative changes in the original. There is a new setting when saving the module: "Apply offset/rotation of most recently broken hotlinked module", but it doesn't seem to do anything as far as I can tell.

BTW: I twiddled around with my test walls some more and found that if the walls are set to "Automatic" home story they jump around in strange and (so far as I have tested them) unpredictable ways.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have just gone through the same or similar frustration. copy does some really strange things to modules - and editing them after placement as described in the help module, creates all kinds of weird results. Walls not staying in the plane of the module setting, interior components fixing themselves to the story height rather than the insertion setting and a few others that skip my feeble mind. The only way I have been able to use the modules is to break all the links and treat them as groups - what a lousy way to get some productivity. The condition exists because I have a split project - one section is 4 feet higher than the other - so stories are forcing choices that make a lot of work.

Anybody have any suggestions on setting the stories to accommodate a 4 foot split for half a project - it is not big enough to make two projects to externally place.

Lew Bishop
Jon Worden Architects
MBP 17" OS X 10.5
AC 1112 US
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Unless GS has changed something without telling us, something is definitely up.

Even from the moment the first hotlinked module is placed, selecting it and checking the elevation, shows up incorrectly. Then when multiplied, they will all each show the wrong elevations. Then when updated they all flatten out. And they still show incorrect elevations.

This definitely didn't happen in 10. I'll report it to GS and see what we get back.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
We are experiencing similar Module issue in 11. Modules created on one story and placed on another story, even through created and placed as single story, and at 0" elevation to that story. Modules in 3d are showing up on next story, but showing up on the correct story in plan.
Anyone else having this issue.
Or is there a solution other that placing Module at a negative Dimension to stroy placed in.