BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Should I upgrade to v11 now, or wait for v12?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I work for a small residential firm and we were advised to upgrade to v11 for the added curved profile tools, but now that v12 is on the horizon, my boss is wondering whether we should wait for it to come out before upgrading our v10. We currently use AutoDesk2007 but I am ready to change now to ArchiCad. We have had ArchiCad v10 in a box on the shelf for almost a year now. It is mocking me silently as I continue to use AutoCad.

Should we:
1. Upgrade to v11 now and get started or,
2. Wait for v12

What improvements will v12 have over v11 and exactly when is it coming out? I thank you all for your help.
46 REPLIES 46
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi I've been using Archicad for 15 years and I say don not upgrade to V11
1. the detail & section markers rarely work correctly and have to be reselected multiple time to get them to when they do
2. the roof tool only works correctly in the 3d window which is a pain, I used to be able to select the walls in plan view and only cut those wall now it cuts any other wall it feels like, this was a problem in V10 also
3. there are printing issues that have not been resolved, although that may be a corrupted file.
4. you now have to download accessories which came with the CD before, only nobody tells you about that until you find it missing and have a frantic search for it because you thought it was just meaninglessly relocated like everything else, and you've missed another deadline because of it.
5. Finally I've already informed my archicad supplier that I refuse to pay for V12 just to have something that should be fixed for free and I don't think anybody else should either, nor do I believe in work arounds when something worked before.
TomWaltz
Participant
Steve wrote:
Am I to understand that the "subscription" price is lower than the price for the "upgrade" because Graphisoft is passing on a savings of some kind, realized from the pay in advance "subscriptions" ?

Ok... if that is true, I am happy to pay for a subscription instead of an upgrade.

Also, if that is true, then the higher price for the upgrade would not be a penalty.

Now what about the difference in license agreements?

Is there any difference in a license agreement for the 12 month subscription and a license agreement for an upgrade?
I think for AC11, subscription was $695/seat, purchase was $895 a seat. To me, that alone was enough to justify subscription over purchase. My subscription also expired in May, so to me the upgrade came out almost as soon as I paid for it.
Tom Waltz
The yearly upgrade schedule may end up being a time and money saver after all. Instead of going into the expense and headaches of upgrading every 18 months as in the old days, you can now skip every other release and pay and get a real upgrade every 24.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm with you there, Ignacio. From now on I think it's even numbers only!
Anonymous
Not applicable
V12 Bring it on!

I came from Chief Architect V10 a baby in comparison to Archicad.

No subs at all there.

I like the 24 month sub sytem here in Australia we get free dongle insurance and free access to add ons as well.

So odd numbers may be a half step but they make up for it in the evens.
At least this program has world wide backing country specific editions that makes it the best in the world.

I just hope we get more of less mouse and keyboard clicks like V10.

I do miss the interactive dimensions in Chief that auto moves into position a wall from feeding in a new dim with my left hand on a key pad (less maths as well), Here is one area where Archicad could speed up if it has not already included it in V12.

Cheers,

Manuel.
Thomas Holm
Booster
mthd wrote:
more of less
And less is more -this means even less - AC 12, the least release!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thomas,
Less mouse and keyboard clicks as the tracker has now made possible. AC 12 should have lots and lots more goodies in it after a 24 month sub. Thats all.

Cheers,

Manuel.
Learn and get certified!