BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

11' X 17" COLOR PRINTER IN USA

Anonymous
Not applicable
My printer feeder gave out the week and I am having a hard time finding reviews of what to replace it with. I like the 11" x 17" color format for ArchiCAD 3D views and quick plans etc to the client. Any one got a recommendation to fill that need ?
Thanks
17 REPLIES 17
Dwight
Newcomer
I hope that you still have it in the back room.

The aftermarket for the 3000 is good because the t-shirt guys like it.

See your dealer about resale.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
KeesW wrote:
If you are considering an Epson, check driver availability and their update policy.
I've had an on again off again relationship with Epsons. The printers are generally very nice, but their drivers seem to vary from great to awful. The early 1500's (17x22) were a nightmare networking with Macs (only painful with Windows). My 1280 was a trouble free workhorse. My current 1800 is a good printer with nice output, but I keep having to tweak and adjust to get acceptable output, and have a very hard time getting the top quality results the machine is (theoretically) capable of.
Dwight
Newcomer
I agree.
My first Epson was a disaster communicating - counseling didn't help.

But this 3800 is a dream with simplified firmware updates.
Dwight Atkinson
KeesW wrote:
I've got an HP9860 (A3) as one of our printers. It is fast, very good quality and not very expensive. I'd recommend it.
I am very happy with the HP B8350 too (I also decided to go HP after a lifetime of unending headaches with drivers with my old Epson 1520). One thing that I didn't quite understand when buying the 8350, and still don't understand, is the black/grayscale cartridge option.

The printer has the 6 color inks typical for photo printers, but they offer an alternative black and grayscale cartridges setup which is supposed to give better blacks and that I guess would be the way to go for text printouts? Black text with the 6-color-ink setup (I assume it uses only the basic 3 CMY for text) looks fine, but I have not been able to compare with the black ink setup which should look better.
Dwight
Newcomer
The ink schemes are thus:

1: a simple matte black - the routine black for drawings and basic Archicad renderings made without photographic backgrounds.

2: The Photo Black and its associated greys - for photographic reproduction.

The printer switches between modes at some expense - about US$5. because the black line must be flushed. This is a problem when printing both drawings and photography since print runs must be carefully planned to minimize shifting gears. Of course, you can always fool the machine into making plain paper prints using the photo black ink. Works fine.

Inkjet printers have always had difficulty with subtlety at extremes - at both the light and dark. They have long used dilute magenta and cyan to smooth the transition to white [yellow, being weak and transparent, needs no lighter tone]. These dilute colors prevent a shattered edge of perceptible dots as the image transits to white - another reason to never print absolute white in a photo. Additional greys build up a subtle, almost metallic sheen in monochrome photos that is quite beguiling when applied to the correct papers.
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
And then there is this:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2225806,00.asp
Dwight Atkinson
Thomas Holm
Booster
Dwight wrote:
And then there is this:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2225806,00.asp
That's OKI C9650.

If I remember correctly, Xerox has a Phaser series printers that use the same LED print engine as the OKIs, but have true Adobe Postscript and thus better color and better calibration options. Price is more or less the same, at least over here. This is IMHO the best budget color "laser" 11x17 (A3) option available.

The next quality step costs about the double, then you get true laser too.

Next again is the EFI Fiery RIP option - overpriced but still worth it, if you can afford the leasing costs. Available among others in KonicaMinolta, Xerox, Canon and other color laser printer brands.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Dwight
Newcomer
And, just in:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2232711,00.asp

as cheap as they come.
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!