BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Export 3D model to other software?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it possible to export the archicad model to another program that can recognize the model's 3D nature? Like a backwards translation to SketchUp essentially.

I know I can render a movie, but the client wants to be able to control their 3D experience completely.
4 REPLIES 4
TomWaltz
Participant
3DS is the most common that I've seen.

If you have Navisworks, it comes with (came with?) a plug in that let you save to a Navis file that is really nice and lightweight that works with their free viewer software.
Tom Waltz
Djordje
Ace
There used to be Zermatt.

There are many VRML viewers.

Some of the IFC viewers have collision detection.

EON Reality and the mentioned are widely used for checking real 3D of many file formats.

As usual, more than one way of doing it ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Thomas Holm
Booster
dwyss wrote:
Is it possible to export the archicad model to another program that can recognize the model's 3D nature? Like a backwards translation to SketchUp essentially.

I know I can render a movie, but the client wants to be able to control their 3D experience completely.
If you Save As 3DS from AC's 3D window, Sketchup (at least Pro) will import it and let you save it as a Sketchup model, with materials.
Your client will be able to walk around in that model using the free Google Sketchup program, or the light-weight Sketchup viewer.

(edited) This alternative has the advantage of working on Macs, both creating and viewing.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
dwyss wrote:
.........the client wants to be able to control their 3D experience completely.
You should try VRML . Save your AC 3D file as VRML and open it with Vitruvian Studio http://www.vitruvian-studio.com (one click process).
Save it and your clients will be able to walk through the project and interact with it in realtime (using the most popular vrml-viewer, even online with standard configurations).
Learn and get certified!