BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

twisted roof

Anonymous
Not applicable
how draw twisted roof?
7 REPLIES 7
Dwight
Newcomer
By twisted roof, you mean "doubly curved," where the roof changes slope in two directions...

The simple answer is to make a mesh instead of a roof, then convert it to roof planes. (Mesh to Roof)

You'll still need to carefully place nodes to keep the surface rational when you change it to a roof.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been trying to do a twisted roof also, by creating a mesh, and then converting to a roof. The problem is that I keep getting a triangulated effect. So when I trim my walls to roof, I get a zig zagged effect at the ceiling/wall junction. see attached.
Any advice?
twisted roof.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Olivia,

My advice is don't use either the mesh tool or the roof tool, both of which look rubbish in section and aren't smooth enough in 3d, as you have found.

The tool to use is a brilliant library part called 'Mesh 3d' by petri, originally found in the object depository. This has some rendering issues but has been fixed by Olivier Dentain and the new version can now be found at the end of this thread here -

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=105367&highlight=mesh#105367

Basically, you can bend all the vertices in any direction you like. Have a play with it to see actually what it does!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Peter!
Just one more question (I'm a bit of a novice)
Now that I've downloaded the GSM part, what is the method of opening it in archicad, ie which folder do I put it in, etc
cheers
Erich
Contributor
Olivia,

You just need to place the file in your office or project library and them make sure that the library is loaded (or reloaded if the project file is open). Then the object will be available via the Object tool.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
When using the mesh 3d tool by Petri, is it possible to model an object that has more than four sides (in plan view)? The roof that I am trying to model has 12 sides in roof plan view.
cheers
twisted roof shape in plan.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can add extra points by changing the number of control points in the settings. Unfortunately it seems to self-intersect easily, which results in visible errors.

The best solution may be to either use SEO to trim the mesh3d object into shape, or you use several mesh3d objects to construct the whole roof and align the nodes to the same levels where they join.

Try both methods to see what is the best method for you. I'm not sure either solution will be perfect and display properly both in 2d and 3d.
Learn and get certified!