Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

MaxonForm and SOlid Element Operations

Anonymous
Not applicable
I recently succumbed to the lure of MaxonForm in order to do some complex organic roofs. It's complex but sophisticated, and I'm impressed with the results so far.

But I find that I can't apply solid element operations to certain elements. For example, I took a slab into MF, deleted the top polygon surface, and bringing it back into AC it performs a Solid Element Operation (SE) fine. But if I also delete one of the vertical faces, the object no longer is capable of participating in an SEO.

I tried taking a solid slab into MF to apply twists and warps, but it's MUCH harder to control than a single plane.

So my questions are:

1. Am I missing something in the SEO behavior? Other objects can perform SEO's, and this one could without a top - am I missing something?

2. What's the best way to create an organically-curved curved roof with a thickness? Create a plane and extrude it? Start with an AC slab and warp it?

3. The roof in the further building still has a thickness (started life as a slab), but also won't work in a SEO. Are there overriding limitations here I should have been aware of before purchase?
3 REPLIES 3
Rakela Raul
Participant
there is another mf tread that talk about that seo problem..

i run into the same seo problem but if i dont recall well it was cuz the two elements didnt have the same material applied to it.....i think !!

i have done it in mf in a different way: with bplines i have "formed" surfaces/planes using the loft or one of those tools and then extrude for the thickness.

but it seems that your roof doesnt need mf...profiler probably would do
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Anonymous
Not applicable
SEOs requite solid elements as operators (no real surprise I guess). Your alterations to the slab have probably turned it into a surface model with no normal vectors (ie. it doesn't know inside from out). The surprise for me is that it worked without the top.

BTW: It is natural that surface models are easier to deform than solids. The math and constraints are MUCH simpler.
stefan
Expert
In the past, I found that SEO's applied to MaxonForm objects had to be reapplied when the MaxonForm object was updated. Is this still the case?
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book