Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

!Restored: Trace slows down drawing so much, almost unusable

kevin b
Contributor
So are others having this problem? If I use a plan as a trace reference, everything slows down to a crawl, any move I make takes several seconds to recover and trying to select something, takes two or three attempts, each one taking several seconds, before the item actually gets selected.
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

Intel Core i7 -8700 @ 3.2 GHz~ 16 GB ram
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Are you referencing from the view map? If the reference has different layer settings, view options, etc. it can slow things down. A live building elevation view can really hang you up. (It's best to reference from the Navigator.)
Stress Co_
Advisor
I added a keyboard toggle (shortcut) to switch trace on and off while I zoom and pan around the drawing. Saves the redraw time until I'm at the view/zoom I want.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Karl Ottenstein
See this article:
http://www.archicadwiki.com/Virtual_Trace?highlight=%28trace%29

particularly the part at the bottom about 2D speed.

Personally, I've never had a speed issue, but my models are relatively small.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
The problem seemed to have been fixed in the last hotfix but one but returned with the latest - my experience anyway1
Thomas Holm
Booster
Matthew wrote:
... (It's best to reference from the Navigator.)

Yes, "Project map" gives you references with the same layer combination as the current. No speed penalty.

Edited: OK, no BIG speed penalty...
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
kevin b
Contributor
I have the trace on/off toggle shortcut but its still a pain in the ass. For all the significant improvements trace has over ghost story, this slow down is stopping a lot of user here staying away from it.

Have been using the Navigator View Map mostly as opposed to the Project Map. I did see previously comments about the layers being different causing the slowdown but I made some test views in the navigator making the layers the same and still had same speed issues. And the fact is we really need the layers to be different, the thing I want to trace are on layers turned off in the view I am tracing in.

Edited: OK I chaneged the layers of the view I'm in to include those I want to trace and then used the Map reference and it is somewhat better but still this is a fantastic idea but is still very buggy to have such a speed issue trying to do exactly what it is made for.
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

Intel Core i7 -8700 @ 3.2 GHz~ 16 GB ram