Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

railing object?

Anonymous
Not applicable
hello!!
is there anyone who has a railing object?
i cannot use these from ac library, i want sth different
thanks a lot
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Model it with Custom Profile walls and columns!
Dennis Lee
Booster
There is an object called "garde-corps" here. It has a lot of options to allow for a wide range of railing objects. It's in French, but w/ some guess work, it was workable for me.

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/archilib.od/index.html
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dennis wrote:
There is an object called "garde-corps" here. It has a lot of options to allow for a wide range of railing objects. It's in French, but w/ some guess work, it was workable for me.

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/archilib.od/index.html
THANKS 🙂
Anonymous
Not applicable
kliment wrote:
Model it with Custom Profile walls and columns!
what do you mean by custom profile??
Rick Thompson
Expert
There should be a rail in you library? Look under Starimaker Hand rails. I don't have the straight library, and these might not be in the standard version. I have them under concrete (that's where AC put them back in AC6.5 when started my own library). I can email it to you if you can't find it, or don't have it somewhere, but you probably do.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
"Rick Thompson" wrote:
.... I have them under concrete (that's where AC put them back in AC6.5 when started my own library). I can email it to you if you can't find it, or don't have it somewhere, but you probably do.

Hi Rick,
I've only been using AC for two years now, but I think I might like to try to create my own library sets also.
Do you have any quality links/articles, (beside GS's help) for setting up your own libraries?
I guess I thought that would confuse AC by having .gsm's in other than stock folders or "other-objects" folder.
Any lead would be helpful.
Thanks
Larry
Rick Thompson
Expert
Messing with libraries can be problematic, but it just normally has to be done. I have "myAClibrary" and I add to it from the new versions occasionally. There should be a lot of info on this forum that would help, with comments from people who pay a lot more attention to the issue than I do. Many parts have macros in a separate folder that needs to stay in the library, or the part want work. I originally stripped stuff I would never use to help loading, but computers are so much faster than the old ones that might not be a issue anymore. If you start messing with property objects you will need to keep those files separate so you can easily drag them along into new versions. Sorry, I am not much help, but it is a big topic, so I suggest searching the forum for now.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
what do you mean by custom profile?? :oops:

Wendy, maybe Kliment can give you a better explanation, but the brief of it is that you should take a look here:Design>Complex Profiles>Profile Manger
It is a bit daunting a first, but well worth the time investment. You certainly won't get it all in one or two sittings. Start by first picking one of the "custom" profiles, use "duplicate" existing profile to new name and playing with that. Once you have the duplicate open play with that while in "construction" mode.
Then store your duplicated profile to new name, and now you have begun your journey to enlightenment....pack a lunch.
Anonymous
Not applicable
"Rick Thompson" wrote:
..... Many parts have macros in a separate folder that needs to stay in the library, or the part want work. I originally stripped stuff I would never use to help loading, but computers are so much faster than the old ones that might not be a issue anymore. If you start messing with property objects you will need to keep those files separate so you can easily drag them along into new versions.....

Thanks for the reply and info Rick.
Perfect example of that is the railing object that Dennis Lee has link to below.
I tried to first just load .gsm, but that failed in 3d. Then I got it that I needed whole folder.
So thanks again, I'll try to go at this slowly. Maybe I should pack a lunch.