Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Velodrome

Anonymous
Not applicable
Help! I am in the process of modeling a velodrome. Some description: The track is about 250 meters around=straight and curve. The track is 12° on the straights and increases in incline to 40° at the end of the curve--the incline only occurs at the outer edge. The incline starts at the beginning of the curve. Obviously I am not giving you all of the details but enough to understand the question: I can model the track with a spiral--I have done this with ArchiForma--but I haven't figured out how to make the outer edge of the spiral rotate at a different degree than the inner portion of the spiral? The inner edge does not elevate at all. Any ideas would be appreciated--thanks in advance!
11 REPLIES 11
Thomas Holm
Booster
The straight parts should work with roofs. The curved parts are more trouble.

In the standard library, there is a curved ramp object that you might be able to customize.

Otherwise, I think the easiest way to do this is to approximate the track with a mesh.

Or buy Objective!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Rakela Raul
Participant
Ramps in interchanges have a vertical and horizontal alignment (we can do that in archicad) but on top of that, ramps have slopes that go from positive to negative on the same alignment..thats a problem to archicad tools.

(of course if i understood your question right) !!

within archicad (nor objective) we dont have the ability to 'twist' a plane; but with maxonform or C4D you can.

with maxonform you can grab one end of your roadway and twist it to a desire slope, leaving the other end fixed or twisted to a different slope if you wish. something like the attached image

maybe there is a way of doing this in archicad, i would like to find out myself
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Dwight
Newcomer
Without add-ons:

The quickest way to make a sweeping bank is to describe the key section shapes - say six or eight of them per 90 arc, create a custom profile wall for each. Place the profiles, then use them to elevate a mesh into the sweeping bank.
Dwight Atkinson
Thomas Holm
Booster
Rakela wrote:
within archicad (nor objective) we dont have the ability to 'twist' a plane
Sure we have, at least within +- 89° or so... As Dwight and I have said already: Mesh tool!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
TWIMC, I found the Mesh-to-Roof add-on works pretty good. A little cumbersome but it works. Please see pdf enclosed.....
Dwight
Newcomer
That track actually has the same slope all around? It just gets wider at the ends?
Dwight Atkinson
__archiben
Booster
well it looks pretty easy to me

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Rakela Raul
Participant
Sure we have, at least within +- 89° or so... As Dwight and I have said already: Mesh tool!
Dwight and Peter already gave me a lecture on the mesh tool !!....I thought it was a more complicated model.
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Gus
Newcomer
Did you ever end up modeling this velodrome? I would love to see it.
www.michaelgustavson.com Architect NY WI IL
Madison WI
Archicad21 MEP EcoDesSTAR Win10-64-bit
EliteBook8570W Corei7-3630QM@2.40GHz
QuadroK2000m RAM32 (2)250GBSSDs
4 Monitors Internet:4Up60Down

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!