Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Difficulty getting multiple levels to show correctly

Bill
Contributor
We're modelling a house where the ground floor has multiple levels - for example, the garage is many feet below the first floor.

If the cut plane for the floor is set "normally" (approx. 4' A.F.F.) relative to the majority of the floor, allowing those windows and doors to show properly, then the windows and doors in walls on other levels don't because the cut plane doesn't go through them.

Is there a way to have multiple cut planes for one story? Is there another solution?

Thanks

Bill
Bill Szustak RA

Principal, Springboard Design

ArchiCAD 25, macOS Ventura 13.4.1
6 REPLIES 6
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Bill wrote:
Is there a way to have multiple cut planes for one story?
No.
Bill wrote:
Is there another solution?
Yes -- create multiple Views of this Story, each with its own FPCP, then crop and assemble the Drawings to appear as a single plan on the Layout.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I've never done it, but I guess it's also feasible that you could assign particular walls, windows, doors, etc Symbolic displays (so they ignore the cut plane) and leave the others as is (so they are affected by the cut plane).

Guess it depends on the siutation, but as I said, I've never tried it.

Cheers,
Link.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Bill:

I have done the opposite of what Link is suggesting: I have most of the walls (and doors and windows) set to Symbolic, then taken a few walls (and doors and windows) and used the FPCP for special circumstances (for example a 2 story house that has an entry at mid level). From your brief description, you might want to set everything to Symbolic, then use the FPCP for just a few elements.

My 2 cents (and you can search this forum for other opinions/uses of the FPCP).

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Thomas Holm
Booster
Laura wrote:
Bill wrote:
Is there another solution?
Yes -- create multiple Views of this Story, each with its own FPCP, then crop and assemble the Drawings to appear as a single plan on the Layout.
Laura's solution is by far the best - since it works with the system and not around it, it won't create problems elsewhere.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
What?!

This is hardly a workaround. The Symbolic Cut is provided specifically so that elements CAN ignore the cut plane. If anything, Laura's method (while still good) is more of a workaround. If the situation was relatively simple changing the settings of some elements, is far simpler than aligning and overlapping multiple drawings on a layout.

Sheesh,
Link.
Thomas Holm
Booster
Link wrote:
If the situation was relatively simple changing the settings of some elements, is far simpler than aligning and overlapping multiple drawings on a layout.
Link, I find that depends.
In a situation when I need to create several views of the same area, to have set some elemets as symbolic to work in one of those might create issues in others. While Laura's being completely consistent, with a FCP at a fixed distance from each floor, won't. It's not less work if you want one quick solution, but might save work later in a complex project. I think you need to consider the specific situation.
YMMV.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1