Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Not enough memory to render model

Anonymous
Not applicable
I need help with my renderings. When i try to render it will start and the a window will pop up that says
"NOT ENOUGH MEMORY TO RENDER MODEL"

I tried to defrag the computer and do a disk clean up. The file is only

3.45MB.

please someone help my final is due tomorrow
9 REPLIES 9
Dwight
Newcomer
You don't have enough memory to render the model.

While your file might seem small when stored on the disk, the real culprit is that once formed into a 3D image, the temporary file is much larger than that. And once you begin to render, the other temporary files need even more space.

You probably need more disk space. How much space is free? I have seem over 1Gb temporary files......

OR: you do not not have enough RAM to perform the rendering. A way to test this is to query the number of polygons in the model if you download the goodie that does this function. Do you have a lot of 3D trees?

Cut your model in half with a marquee and try to render that. Does it work?
Dwight Atkinson
Thomas Holm
Booster
Config in signature, perhaps?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
ok i got the polygon add on how do u use i i never had to use it before
Karl Ottenstein
I've changed your subject line. Please do not post subjects like "Help", but rather indicate what you need help with. 😉

Instructions are downloaded with the add-on, right? Once it is copied into your add-ons folder, and you restart ArchiCAD (or use add-on manager to load it while ArchiCAD is running), go to the menu Window > Palettes > PolyCount. You can do this from plan. No need to generate 3D.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I was getting the same error. Rather than simplifying the model, cutting down on the number of Lightworks windowLamps in other "invisible" rooms helped get rid of it. Probably the same for other lamps too, I dunno.

Even with a real lamp fixture placed in the scene, the checkbox for light intensity seemed to have no effect, so I also make sure that it's intensity value is 0, for a daylight shot.
Dwight
Newcomer
Eliminating Windowlites isn't simplifying the model?

The windowlight is a dangerous and time-expensive element since is has an enormous range of complexity and can generate many extra, time-consuming calculations.

The only windowlite that should be operating in a model is the one in the window facing the sunlight and is prominent in the scene.

Observe in the attached how many extra light sources you get by innocently increasing the intensity of a window lite.
windolite example.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well that wasn't in the AC manual. Looks like I'm gonna have to get ya book, Dwight. This trial and error method just aint workin for me
Dwight
Newcomer
I learned the windolite the hard way, using top quality/top power lights and wondering why a small animation frame was taking 20 minutes.

Please order my book. I am down to the last few, so this is the time for all good Archicadders to come to the aid of their author.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a way to empty the temporary data before rendering? It seems to run fine with one pass. Then I adjust the view and then get the flag for not enough memory for temporary data structure...

Seems like there would be a cache dump, no?