BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Filename length 27+3 characters is getting really annoying

andrewzarb
Booster
Why is ArchiCAD still limited by the filename length constriction?
Are we thinking of moving back to Mac OS 9?
I think it would be nice for ArchiCAD to support filename lengths which are available in both MAC OSX and Windows.
15 REPLIES 15
TomWaltz
Participant
The odd part is that the limitation was introduced in a recent service pack for AC9... it never seemed to make much sense!
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
really! can we move into the 21st century please?
Haneef Tayob
Booster
Can't remember how long I've been annoyed with this limitation. I keep voting essential whenever the wish pops up (so much for secrecy ).

Just today, yet again, I had to make duplicates of a whole lot of images, then reduce their very descriptive, logically named files in order to bring them into archicad.

Is GS not listening or is this another of the items which requires re-writing the code for AC.
Haneef Tayob
Aziz Tayob Architects
AC23 INT rel 3003, OS X 10.14.6 iMac 3.3ghz i5 dual monitor, 24GB RAM
Haneef Tayob
Booster
Seems as though this is addressed in AC11: "Freedom to choose your naming convention with no character limitations"
Haneef Tayob
Aziz Tayob Architects
AC23 INT rel 3003, OS X 10.14.6 iMac 3.3ghz i5 dual monitor, 24GB RAM
Djordje
Ace
It is solved in 11. Finally.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Rafal SLEK
Enthusiast
I never use more the 27 characters 🙂 But v. 11 solves this problem for others 🙂
MacBook Pro Retina 2019/2.4 GHz/Intel Core i9/32GB RAM/Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB/macOS 11.6/ArchiCAD 25vINT+POL/Maxwell Render 5.2/Twinmotion 2022.1
Eduardo Rolon
The problem is not extending the amount of characters for the names it is (or was?) that if you merge a DWG and it has more than 27 letters then AC wouldn't import it.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
ejrolon wrote:
The problem is not extending the amount of characters for the names it is (or was?) that if you merge a DWG and it has more than 27 letters then AC wouldn't import it.
WAS!

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
is there any hope in ac10? I hope so....
Learn and get certified!