BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Tapering concrete beams

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes... how to do this? I tired rotating a beam and trimming the top off in section, but that didn't really work.

I'm trying it again with a wall of similar dimensions...

I wish I could just drag the node of one corner in section, but it isn't working like that. I need a trapezoid shape in section.

Help?
Thanks again.
3 REPLIES 3
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
tdellaqu:

Use the Profile Manager to create the profile you want, then use it with the wall or beam tool.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
tdellaqu wrote:
how to do this? I tired rotating a beam and trimming the top off in section, but that didn't really work.
I wish I could just drag the node of one corner in section, but it isn't working like that. I need a trapezoid shape in section.
I'm not sure if this question has been answered in the way you expected. Did you want the taper along the length of the beam, or in cross section?

If it's the latter, you can shape many beam objects to a taper using OBJECTIVE's toolset (refer to the attached image). Note that when I refer to the Split or Rotate tools, I mean those under the OBJECTiVE/Tools menu - ArchiCAD's built-in Split and Rotate can't do this:
  • 1. Place the selected beam in plan (in this example I used "Precast Beam I 01 11" from the standard ArchiCAD library) and place a section/elevation alongside.
    2) Open the section/elevation and use 'Split' to divide the beam into an upper and lower section.
    3) Use 'Rotate' to incline the lower section to the required taper angle.
    4) Use 'Split' to cut away the unwanted parts of the lower section
The remaining part is optional, depending on whether the tapered beam is also inclined:
  • 5) Use 'Rotate' to incline the tapered beam to the required pitch
    6) Use 'Spit' to shape the beam ends to the required angle (as applicable)
The original and tapered beams are shown in the attached image in 2D (image 1) and 3D (image 7). Note that the selected tapered beam adds snappable hotspots long the beam cross-section in 3D, and is correctly represented in 2D (unlike SEO operations).

You can find out more about OBJECTiVE at: http://www.encina.co.uk/objective.html
taper.jpg
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aha, thanks, I used both of your solutions in my project.

I also discovered that you can stretch a beam's angle and length by hitting the top points and using that pet palette.

Ok hopefully my signature attaches this time around
Learn and get certified!