Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Folded roof/ sloped wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi
Can someone please tell me the best way of modelling this form (images attached). I am trying to achieve a clean folded junction from a roof (sloped on 2 planes) to a sloping wall.
The wall is on an 80 degree slope, and the top of it is not horizontal. Both ends of the wall are angled down from roof to ground level. The roof is angled on 2 planes.

The method I have used so far hasn't worked well. The steps I have taken are as follows:

1. I Created the wall on an 80 degree slope
2. I Created the 2 planed roof
3. I Trimmed the wall to the roof (the roof had to be oversized to trim the sloped wall, otherwise it wouldn't trim properly
4. I resized the roof to try to snap to the top edges of the wall. I had trouble doing this, because there was no snap point on the top of the trimmed wall at its lowest end. Messy
5. To angle the walls at boths ends, I modelled a solid at each end of the wall, used solid element operations, and then put them on an invisible SEO layer. This was also messy.

Any suggestions about how to do this in a better way, so that the wall and roof can be snapped to each other, creating a clean fold. Should I be using complex profiles? Is there a way to snap to the top of trimmed walls (not just the highest point of a trimmed wall)?
Cheers

Steps taken .jpg
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable
Olivia wrote:
back again.
The 'subtracted' areas still seem to be showing up in plan view. All works well in 3d and section though. Is there a way to make it work in plan as well?
Thanks

yes SEO doesn't reflect in plans , thats why i prefer intersecting these ends with slanted walls and hide it ( some times a little extra lines are needed ) but thats all

or you can consider creating 3D cut away ( plan view) and change to internal engine - marquee select - copy ..then back to plan .. paste and start working with lines ... very cumbersome though

those are the ways i know at least
Anonymous
Not applicable
oh dear...what a shame...would be good if they could make that one work properly, would be very handy indeed
Djordje
Ace
That is why you should Trim to roof instead of SEO, and use Complex profile only for the inclined wall - the very steep "roof" that in any case is a wall, is built like a wall, and functions like a wall. In fact, a simple inclined wall would work a treat - no need for Complex profile at all.

Model it as you would build it. Model it so your construction documents are correct, not the pretty picture. That picture does not get your project built. It just helps to persuate the guy with the money to write the cheque. But that is only the beginning.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
O thankyou wise one
Thomas Holm
Booster
Olivia wrote:
O thankyou wise one
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Djordje
Ace
Olivia wrote:
O thankyou wise one
Ahem ...

Now you owe me a mocha, whenever we meet 😉
Djordje

HP Omen
Thomas Holm
Booster
Djordje wrote:
Well... I sensed just a bit of irony in Olivia's reply... whatever, I think the one who owes you a mocha is me. I'll ring when I get to Dubai!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Djordje
Ace
Thomas wrote:
Djordje wrote:
Well... I sensed just a bit of irony in Olivia's reply... whatever, I think the one who owes you a mocha is me. I'll ring when I get to Dubai!
So did I!

Sorry if I came across aloof ... and the mocha is always welcome
Djordje

HP Omen