Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

!Restored: Wintel to Mactel migration issues

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

Need desperate help!

Sorthand: Having issues deploying a MacPro to a customer.

Patient:
Factory new MacPro G5 Dual Quad Xenon 2,8GHz w/ dual ATI X2600s'. 4Gb RAM.
24" Benq + 2 more 19" side screens.

Symptoms:
Large time issues with project load time, 2D panning/zooming and extreme rendering times. As such a scale that the old wintel machine is beating it on all counts (>1yo normal unraided Vista machine).

Projects:
Main project files range from 5-8Mb size and consist of some 4-6 blocks of low rise housing.

Done:
HW tests results green across the board.

Pretty-please-with-suggar-on-top some help me?!?!?

Cheers,
MrF
8 REPLIES 8
Chazz
Enthusiast
MrFixit wrote:
Patient:
Factory new MacPro G5 Dual Quad Xenon 2,8GHz w/ dual ATI X2600s'. 4Gb RAM.
There's your problem right there. I think the patent has issues related to processor identity confusion. He needs to decide whether he is a PPC or really an x86 at his core. Thorazine may help.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Karl Ottenstein
Chazz's joke about you calling your new MacPro a G5 (PPC processor) aside... 😉

You did not tell us what version you are running? If you are running AC 10 or earlier from the distributed media, then you are running a PPC version on an Intel machine in emulation (Rosetta) mode - which is really slow.

If AC 10, download the Intel version and then apply the MacTel patches. if AC 11, it should automatically have installed MacTel, and then there is some other problem...

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Xeon, true xeon...

AC 11 - latest patches, did not download the installer from the web. Used the default deliverd with CD/DVD.
Was "PPC" version perhaps at sometime included in the deliverd medium?

What are these other possible issues?

I have a copy of a public project that I could send to anyone willing to take a peek and bencmark some times on it.
Chazz
Enthusiast
MrFixit wrote:
Was "PPC" version perhaps at sometime included in the deliverd medium?
My understanding is that the PPC version is icluded but as Karl says, the installer should load the proper version.
MrFixit wrote:
What are these other possible issues?
All the usual suspects: too many trees or other poly-heavy objects will bring 3D to a crawl. Excessive and/or complex SEOs will do the same. Lots of placed rasters or huge placed drawings can kill 2D. The total file size is not always a good indicator of expected performance. Downloading and using the poly count goodie will give you some feedback on the complexity of the file. At least on the 3D side.

That hardware should give more than acceptable performance. I'm working on a 108 GB file on less than half as much hardware and I'm doing OK.

Are you sure this isn't a PEBCAK issue?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Chazz wrote:
My understanding is that the PPC version is icluded but as Karl says, the installer should load the proper version.
IS there a way to quickly check which is installed?
Chazz wrote:
That hardware should give more than acceptable performance. I'm working on a 108 GB file on less than half as much hardware and I'm doing OK.

Are you sure this isn't a PEBCAK issue?
The above lends me to belive that this may be the case. Tho my knowlage of AC is too limited make this judgment call of the bat. Hence me asking here 😃

I could email you the said test file, you could take a peek.
Eduardo Rolon
Open Activity Monitor (with AC running) and check that you have the "kind" column showing, if it says PowerPC next to AC then you installed the wrong one.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Chazz
Enthusiast
ejrolon wrote:
...if it says PowerPC next to AC then you installed the wrong one.
Good one!

The other think to keep in mind is that one persons sluggish is another persons snappy. This thread has gone along pretty far without any concrete metrics; How long to load libraries, how long to generate an OpenGL window?, how long are these things taking on the windoze box? I sense that our poor northern European friend Mr fixit is at a disadvantage because he is not familiar with the files in question and is taking his clients word for it (as perhaps he should, but it's hard to diagnose second hand).
Anonymous
Not applicable
Activity Monitor test yilded a "Intel". Tho here is something really odd: There is a patch from 1200 to 1210 build AC11. I have installed that one, but still AC insists that I need to instal it again. Re-downloading the patch just confirms that AC is uptodate. This SOP?

About the load times:
Using this one project that I mentioned, panning and zooming in 3D completely halts the machine for 2-6sec as it computes the next image. This unrenderd. The corresponding times on wintel was almost a smooth scrolling.

Rendering time is 6,35minutes.

If by library load times we mean the act of switching from the wireframe view to 3D it's just shy of 3 minutes.

An other huge issue is opening projects. Takes, in my view, way too long to open. 1-6minutes. With sometimes failing to open at all.