Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Dual Core support

Anonymous
Not applicable
A simple wish, for ArchiCAD to support dual core. It would be good if section/elevation window generation used dual cores and the 3d openGL window.

Not sure about the extent of this technology but it would be good if one core could handle placed images and the other the drawing side. Whenever we place decent sized images into ArchiCAD it goes so SLOW. Mutliple images are even worse.
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable
ABsolutely true, essential, essential and again essential. THis is madness not to use your max CPU power (( Hope that with the 64bit version the programmers will fix that HUGE problem
Anonymous
Not applicable
what 64 bit release?
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is ridiculous I'm reading this on a dual core laptop and I usually work on a quad core work station, but archicad can only use one core.
Aussie John
Newcomer
And we are now talking 8 core as common place.

I'm a user since version 3 and in the last couple of years I have become somewhat disillusioned with priorities of GS and ArchiCAD. The software is littered with unfinished features and this results in bloated software. Its no point having the shiniest car on the block if the engine gushes oil when it runs and is 2 cylinders too small.

I dont know the real details regarding 64bit but CAD software seems a genuine no brainer.

Even Lightworks which supposedly utilised multiple processors (well at least more than one) runs like a dog if you switch to another application.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
yeah definitely needs some update for multi-processing support.
there is no point having a multi-core workstation than
Anonymous
Not applicable
ozbencetin wrote:
yeah definitely needs some update for multi-processing support.
there is no point having a multi-core workstation than
There are many reasons to have a multicore machine currently. Rendering is greatly speeded up and will use all the cores available. You also have the power to open up more than one copy of AC simultaneously. You can render in one and publish in the other for example.

You tend to have other programs on your machine too, like Photoshop or Artlantis, which will also benefit from the extra cores.

But yes you are right, ArchiCAD needs to take advantage of multicores in the program itself ie regenerating/rebuilding, publishing etc. The bits that actually take the time!
Anonymous
Not applicable
To calm down the debate I would say that there are not many programs that use multiprocessing all the time. I use mostly 3dsMax and it is the same as Archicad: it uses the other processors when rendering, but not when making a change on a big amount of objects for example.
Rick Thompson
Expert
I have to give GS some credit here. We may not have it now, but they were very responsive to adapt AC to Mac OX10, and then to the intel chip, so I would have to think they would have this as a priority. I only wish they would acknowledge the road map as we do purchase new computers and that would be helpful info to have.

So, GS... any help here? Should we invest in the hardware or not?
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
Top priority for GS should be the rebuild process when switching to a section or 3D view. Switching to a 3D window with an average 2 storey residential model involves waits of minutes for me every time! Painful. All with my processor on 50%.

"Over 20 years experience...". Incredible.

This wish is No 1 on my list, as it would save me the most time. Most other things have a workaround. This doesn't.
TomWaltz
Participant
Top priority for GS should be the rebuild process when switching to a section or 3D view. Switching to a 3D window with an average 2 storey residential model involves waits of minutes for me every time!
Dude, if that's the case, either you're modeling too much or need new hardware. We have 300,000 SF buildings that don't take that long to rebuild
Tom Waltz