Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Curved and sloping window transom

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good morning

I am trying to model a curved section of curtain walling, the top transom also needs to follow the line of a sloping soffit. Im new to ArchiCAD, I can form my transom using a complex profile and the wall command. But can not find a way to slope/ angle it so that in elevation one end is lower than the other.

Any thoughts?????
7 REPLIES 7
Djordje
Ace
Cut it off by a conveniently placed roof plane.

Use Solid Element Operations to cut off what you don't need.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Thomas Holm
Booster
Phil79 wrote:
I can form my transom using a complex profile and the wall command. But can not find a way to slope/ angle it so that in elevation one end is lower than the other.
Use the complex profile with the Beam tool instead. It will slope.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
The sloping beam tool will work with a straight profile, but i need to curve it in plan. all i have managed to do is draw what looks correct in plan but in elevation it is a series of beams all at the same angle. Not a continuos slope as needed.

Also any ideas on how to trim a beam to a non perpendicular column?
Thomas Holm
Booster
Please add version and platform in your signature.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am on 11 using a MAC.

Regards
Thomas Holm
Booster
You're right. I hadn't tested this. The beam tool doesn't bend. If you place beams along a curve with the magic wand/space bar, it segments. And instead of continuing upwards, each segment starts at the same level.

I you manually raise the level of a segment to match the previous, they will join in 3D and section, but it will look a bit weird and the joint will be visible. See attachment.

I guess itäs doable this way, but Djordje's tip of cutting a curved wall with SEO or trim to roof is pobably better. There is a caveat to that one too. The cut will be a plane, not the spiral ramp that you really need. Perhaps you could use the spiral ramp object in the library?

Otherwise, your best bet for this is the add-on Objective! Try it!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the help gentlemen