BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

changes in pencolors and layers can't be seen on layouts

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
my question:
I have well arranged layout sheets.
I have to make changes to the layers and pencolors of the original drawings.
Why these changes cannot be seen on the layouts the same way as it is when I put some extra elements (like lines and walls) in the drawings?
What do I have to do to make these changes go through to the layouts?
Updating the layouts doesn't work.
Thanks really,
Bobita
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
There might be a better answer that will follow here, but what I've done
in rare cases like that, is delete that view from the layout and drag a new
copy of it.
My guess is the layout or file looses it's reference tag to that saved view?
Bier
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Bier,
thanks for the answer.

Yes, probably I'll be forced to delete the views and bring them in again. The only problem that have cca. 15 pieces of A1 assembled so it would be a big job to do all of them again, that's why I try to keep them.

Also I can see all the new elements, like new objects, new lines in the layouts. So they must still be in connection with the original drawings.
But I cannot find any way to refresh the layer combinations and the pencolors.

Thanks again!
Bobita
TomWaltz
Participant
There are a lot of possible answers.

What version of Archicad are you using?
Are you using pen sets?
Are your views defined with "custom" layers or with named layer combinations?
What are the pen settings on the placed View?
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Tom,

I have just found a feature, right click on the layout's background and 'rebuild'. This seems to solve my problems.
I have found this during trying to answer your questions about the pen set and the layer combos so you helped me really a lot and made my thoughts in order, thanks!
Bobita
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, and I use AC11, and have layer combination and pen set named.
Bobita
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Bobita,

Here is what I recommend everyone does to make sure that what you are about the print is correctly linked and updated. Rather than work backwards from the layouts - here's working forwards through the workflow:

1. Create or edit two Index schemes in your Navigator: Views and Drawings. For each of these, modify them to show all settings associated with the view (layer combo, dimension scheme, view option combo, pen set, scale, etc.) and with the drawing (pen set, scale, etc.) Ideally, these will be in your template for for all future projects - so this is a one time setup.

2. Use the above schemes to verify that you NEVER see the words "Missing" or "Custom" anywhere. For predictable and auditable reproducibility, every view should be associated with named combos.

In the case of Layer Combinations - if you rename a combo, it will subsequently show up as Missing. In the case of Model View options, for example, if you change a view option setting and then save the view - you will see Custom. You'll have no idea of what the options associated with that view really are.

These schedules are interactive - you can fix the settings right in the schedule window. Use these 'auditing' schedules regularly - but particularly before your print.

3. Open Drawing Manager and verify that all drawings are updated. Some may have been set to be manually updated - which seems to be the case in your situation. (Custom/Missing is the other reason for seeing what you saw, as Tom says. And, as mentioned by Bier, rarely there can simply be a corrupt drawing linkage and you have to delete the drawing and place it again.)

HTH,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Karl,
thanks for setting these things in order.
You're right I should have started with setting up everything, or even put all my stuffs into a template. I will do that.
Thanks again for you and for everyone.
Have a nice day!
Bobita
Learn and get certified!