BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

!Restored: Advanced archicad training?

jespizua
Newcomer
Hello, i´ve been using archicad for two years now, and i think a have a nice level using archicad. I´ve seen Virtual Tutor by lazzlo, rellay great training, and other guides but i would like to achieve an advance level. Is there any advance archicad´s tutorials in dvd format?
Thaks in advance!
osx 10.14 | archicad 22 | cinema4d 18 |
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Jacob wrote:
For instance: Perhaps our colleague using just three pens can show here how efficient it is in order to benefit others. Adaptability brings complexity.
Okay- I'll bite. Well- it's an interesting topic actually - because in answering that one needs to address the complexity of interfacing the software tools with 'technique' and the set of prodigiously complex learned mental routines that go into producing design (we'll use a building as an example, since most of us are architects here, I'm assuming - though I've found it a superb tool for most industrial design projects I've done too).

At any rate - the efficiency (in this case) is simply limited to the very fact of allowing oneself only a limited palette of choices. Where it gets complex and nuanced is in the drawing technique one uses. For example - to draw buildings one can use many different approaches. Three that I can think of might be called 'sculptural depth cueing', 'symbolist' and 'figure-ground'*. I use the first approach. So this is where things get a little bit hairy and personal in an office setting. Often times such issues aren't really addressed. There is seldom any budget to look at how figurative representation happens in a set of construction documents, let's say, in a team setting. So this ties back to my original comment about personalization of tools and training long after much time has been invested in a 'personal style'. And there are, of course, many aspects of the program which are open to such personal interpretation (layering strategies, data management, typography, model husbandry, etc etc..) and so it goes. I'm just trying to say that there are problems with glomming willy nilly onto an established bureaucratic structure or system. It ain't always easy...!

I hope this makes at least some sense.

* definitions of above coined terms:
1. 'sculptural depth cueing'
- the grouping of line weights (pens) to pay sole heed to differences in implied depth - i.e. 0.07mm pen for depth changes between 0 and 10cm, 0.15mm for 10-60cm and something like 0.30mm for 60+cm, etc... this is how I prefer to do things - though it often requires modification and overdrawing.

2. 'symbolist'
- probably the most widely used method because it requires very little extra work - but often makes the most chaotic looking drawings. Different types of objects carry different weights. So - we're simply distinguishing between different architectural items represented on the plan.

3. 'figure-ground'
- only the items most relevant to the sheet itself are emphasized with a heavy pen - all other information is portrayed with lightweight pen or with grey colour, etc... can work really well (!) in a drawing set for readability - but again requires tweaking.
Anonymous
Not applicable
jespizua wrote:
Full agree with you, but one note, autodesk's educational license for students are free (not for 3dsmax). I´m using revit 2009 free of charge.
The college and high school in my area charge a bundle for any of autodesks edu versions. At least thats what I'm hearing from the teachers there. Perhaps there is some kind of area specific system going on. I don't know how that would work. Thank god they do. It is the only reason that the school systems decided to switch to archicad. I started on ver8. I was the only one in the school working in archicad because at that time autocad was still free. My drafting teacher hated me for it and kept trying to keep me from using it. He always told me to stop goofing off with the wrong program. Two years after I graduate autodesk starts to charge and everyone gets put on archicad. I had to go in and teach him (the teacher) and the students the program. Perhaps all the Ds I received because the work wasn't done on the right program were worth it.
Learn and get certified!