BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

!Restored: ¿News about AC 12?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all!

¿Anybody knows anything about AC 12, please?

I'm hearing rumours, but nothing concrete...

Thanks a lot and regards.

P.S. Like another user says: "forgive my spanglish..."
325 REPLIES 325
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:

Kostas, in the past, you've made emotional arguments, but with facts. This time, it is all emotion and no sense of reality.
Karl - stop making sense! It's getting in the way of my rage!

If only programming and code was like Grandma's apple pie. She had a good recipe and it tasted very very good (Apple Pie 1.0). Then her sister borrowed that recipe and added something to make it even better! (Apple Pie 2.0) One day her oldest daughter suggested making a design in the top pastry (Apple Pie 2.1). Then one day the ill-tempered uncle interrupted the baking with a tirade about how upsetting it was that the newer pies didn't taste like Grandma's original pies; even though everyone agreed (including the uncle) that the newer pies tasted the best! So he downloaded an illegal copy of the newest recipe and left.

When he came back, he brought his sister-in-law along. She was going to make just the pie crust. Everyone agreed that would be good, because then everyone could spend more time making their part of the pie better. This worked very well.

A few days went by, and it came to light that some people not far away were still enjoying Grandma's original pie recipe. So everyone in the kitchen decided to make some old-fashioned pies for those people, because they were nice and liked to help others. As it turns out, however, the sister-in-laws crust did not taste very good with the old-fashioned recipe. Everyone complained. So it was decided that those who wanted to enjoy Grandma's original pie could have their own copy of the recipe to make for themselves.

Soon there was a party to celebrate everyone's pie-making successes. Everyone ate lots of apple pie. Some old-fashioned pie lovers even tried the newer recipes - and they liked them! In fact, by the end of the party, everyone was so drunk on pie and ice cream, that ALL the pies were being eaten and no one complained. Because they were drunk. On pie and ice cream.

For a time after the party, everyone got along very very well. The new-pie people went on to win awards and accolades for their innovative pie recipes. Parades, and notoriety soon followed. At first the old-fashioned pie people were happy for them, and proud that they shared in the original heady days of Pie-Utopia.

In the end though, the old-fashioned pie-eaters stayed with the old-fashioned recipe. They eventually became outmoded, cynical people who were too inflexible to enjoy the virtues of anything new, let alone really good pie. In time they realized their folly but it was too late. They all died a horrible miserable death.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Don wrote:
Well, I haven't read all of your complaints in detail to know how truthful or accurate they might acutally be. I gave up on that awhile back. But I am a practicing architect who makes his living using ArchiCad and I haven't found any of your gripes to mean a whole lot on how I use ArchiCad.

Mostly, I find your recent comments to be way out of line and just plain rude.
I am sure you did not read any of my comment or complaints but just the above comment and i responed i should have. In the same tone. I respond to rude with ruder.
If you haven't convinced me, I doubt if any GS staff reading your posts are convinced
Last but not least. Karl you are trying to turn white to black.
GDL is code. Just that. If you write in ANSI C in a 1990 compiler and open the same code in VISUAL STUDIO 2008 and make change to code save it, you will still be able to compile it in the old compiler as long as you keep the same standard. If you dont, it wont compile, but you can still edit it.

I did not say, open a file saved in ac12 in ac7 . I am not stupid.
I am talking about CODE. Simple code. TEXT. (and defined variables).
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dennis wrote:
1. No plug-ins at all. If Revit cannot do it, then you are stuck.
2. No option of using older version, period. If you don't pay subscription fees and keep up w/ the newest version, you are out of luck.

As an architect , I still think archicad is worth my money relative to other options out there.
1&2 were answered by tom.

I also think that archicad is very good. Criticizing is what you have to do to improve the product. Architects that use the program know the difficulties.

Is it logical in 2008 an architectural program not to have tools for landscape design? Isnt landscape design a big part of our job?
Keynoting? revisions? and many more. Some of them very basic still not in a 2008 program.

The problem is GS is simply not listening. They never communicate with their users. Where is the GS contribution to users? Just to announce a new patch and an upgrade?
stefan
Expert
oreopoulos wrote:
GDL is code. Just that. If you write in ANSI C in a 1990 compiler and open the same code in VISUAL STUDIO 2008 and make change to code save it, you will still be able to compile it in the old compiler as long as you keep the same standard. If you dont, it wont compile, but you can still edit it.
I think Karl's answer was clear (and polite).

GDL contains code but a GDL object is not text. Open a GDL object in Notepad or another editor. It's not ASCII text. You can copy and paste the GDL snippets from within the GDL editor in ArchiCAD into regular text files, if you want to transfer them to older versions.

And your C-example: the source code is pure text, the compiled object is not. And if your code uses features from the VC++ 2008 compiler that are not known in the older compiler, it won't work.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
stefan wrote:
oreopoulos wrote:
GDL contains code but a GDL object is not text. Open a GDL object in Notepad or another editor. It's not ASCII text.
stefan, ofcourse i have opened gdl in nodepad. I know what it is.
GDL is not a compiled language but an interpreted one. The binary parts in the gdl file are those you enter in the interface (variables... etc)
You can copy and paste the GDL snippets from within the GDL editor in ArchiCAD into regular text files, if you want to transfer them to older versions.
This is the easy part. If you have defined 20 variables you have to enter them manually AGAIN.

I know what is logical and what is not. I program since the early 80's. I know what is logical to expect and what is not.
You can CHOOSE to save a settings file (for example) as a text file or as binary file. This does not change the fact that if you CHOOSE to save as binary and alter the format of the binary file just to create incompatibility does not mean that it is not possible to save as a text file.

GDL is an interpreted language. You define variables and code. There is no need at all to lock this to versions. No need at all. We dont talk here about databases, geometry formats and anything else. Simple easy CODE. Locking backwards is a decision.
__archiben
Booster
oreopoulos wrote:
GDL is an interpreted language. You define variables and code. There is no need at all to lock this to versions. No need at all. We dont talk here about databases, geometry formats and anything else. Simple easy CODE. Locking backwards is a decision.
that you're jumping up and down because you didn't get your scripting environment (again) doesn't help make your point, but i do actually tend to agree with you. it was and continues to be a bad decision to lock GDL (an "open" code format) to a proprietary file format.

of course that's not the only bad decision that has been made through the decades with regard to GDL, but it is one the biggies. i guess what has to be balanced is the need to lock the code for commercial gain. there is so little money to be made from GDL developing that i for one would stand behind the decision to open the code up as you suggest: make each object an XML file rather than GDL (GS develop the library in XML anyway, right?). then archicad can run as much as or as little of the code as archicad 'x' can understand.

and in loosing the (total garbage) 'regular' expressions between each part of the GDL file we may see developers able to build external or add-on object scripting environments that finally address some of the needs we have as users of the 'GDL' language.

regardless, it's too late of course. GDL could easily have been a construction industry standard parametric component language. i've been using archicad for 16 (maybe 17?) years now and it's rare that i come across downloadable GDL direct from a manufacturer's website. but in the past year i'm regularly seeing revit family files available for download. another battle lost . . . (why should i pay a 3rd party for what will almost certainly be an unsupported specific GDL object, for example, when revit users can download theirs free?)

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
For AutoCAD we have a free translators and viewers. What we have for ArchiCAD???
martyl wrote:
For AutoCAD we have a free translators and viewers. What we have for ArchiCAD???
For viewing & printing purposes You can use demo version since ver.10 😉

Best Regards,
Piotr
Anonymous
Not applicable
i agree 100%

The only reason gdl is not a text file is because GS wanted to keep the GDL closed. This is their business decision and i may disagree but this is another story AS LONG AS this decision does not affect me as an end user. Keep GDL in a binary nutshell but take care of your users and at least keep the options open.

As for a scripting language. I am sure (judging from autodesk approach to autocad) that revit will soon get a visual basic scripting environment.
I am also pessimistic with scripting in AC. Having for example visual basic for apps for AC will boost productivity 1000%, users can create very powerful utilities.
Karl Ottenstein
oreopoulos wrote:
Having for example visual basic for apps for AC will boost productivity 1000%, users can create very powerful utilities.
Could you give examples of 3 or 4 such scripts that would boost the typical user's productivity 1000% please?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!