BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

switching from revit to archicad

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi, i'm new to archicad... kinda. i used version 6 ages ago but have been using revit since 2006. i thought it would be a piece of cake getting back into archicad but find i'm mistaken. i've done the basic interactive training but have difficulty doing the exercises on my own. could be because i'm trying the same approach as in revit, which doesn't work, obviously.

anyone here made the switch? any tips on how to un-revit my thinking?
117 REPLIES 117
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thomas wrote:
Greenfin, the comprehensive Archicad 11 library is supposed to be installed with your default installation of Archicad. Is it loaded? Check your library manager.
yes, it is.
Thomas wrote:
Use the Object tool (Double-click Chair icon) to find objects and modify their parameters. (Doors and windows, also in the library, are accessed by their respective tools. Check the help file too.
i did that, edited the parameters but i didn't see the 'style' part.

i was looking for a wooden panel door with an arched transom. in revit what you see is pretty much what you get. the parameters you can change are limited compared to archicad. but it's relatively easy to create your own door, or any component (object) for that matter, which leads me to my next question:

how do you create an object in archicad?

going back to the door, i could change the material of the door itself but not the transom (see attached). in the materials parameters, transom is not in the list and under the transom parameter, no material.

one other thing (see door elevation on right), because the transom is transparent you can see through it. i don't mind this in 3D but i don't want to see what's behind the facade in elevation view. can you specify the depth of the elevation or what you want to be visible?
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
greenfin wrote:
...can you specify the depth of the elevation or what you want to be visible?
Make sure Transparency is off (not checked) under the Model Display panel (Uncut Elements) of your Section/Elevation Marker.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
greenfin wrote:
how do you create an object in archicad?
Download "Introduction to Object Making" from here, under ArchiCAD-related.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laura wrote:
greenfin wrote:
...can you specify the depth of the elevation or what you want to be visible?
Make sure Transparency is off (not checked) under the Model Display panel (Uncut Elements) of your Section/Elevation Marker.
thanks, laura. i'll try that.

i took a look at the 'introduction to object making'. a bit overwhelming for me at this point. maybe when i've mastered the basics of archicad but thanks anyway.
Anonymous
Not applicable
anyone know how i can change the material of the transom (see previous attachment)?
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
greenfin wrote:
anyone know how i can change the material of the transom (see previous attachment)?
Assuming you are referring to "D1 Segmented Transom_OSL", the material of the perimeter of the transom seems to be controlled by the "Panel Material 1 Outside/Inside" and the intermediates by "Grill Material Outside/Inside".
Djordje
Ace
greenfin wrote:
so it's a variant of george but in what language do you spell it like that (djordje)? let me guess... scandinavian perhaps?
No, Serbian.
greenfin wrote:
yes, you never know what you'll find there.
There is always something else around the corner ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
the attached is a screenshot of two perspective views of the same project file (chapter 1 of basic e-guide). in the picture above notice that the walls are not connected but below they are. (the inset _from the navigator view map_ shows the two views.) why is this?
3D views.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
how do you make curtain walls in archicad? do you just change the wall settings, like the material to glass? how about adding mullions? these questions might sound odd to you but as a revit user, i've always just picked 'curtain wall' from the type selector and added the curtain grid and mullions graphically or picked 'storefront' with preset (editable) grid and mullions.

i did search for 'curtain wall' in archicad help but there was nothing there of any help to me. nothing on curtain walls in the reference guide either.
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
greenfin wrote:
how do you make curtain walls in archicad? do you just change the wall settings, like the material to glass? how about adding mullions? these questions might sound odd to you but as a revit user, i've always just picked 'curtain wall' from the type selector and added the curtain grid and mullions graphically or picked 'storefront' with preset (editable) grid and mullions.

i did search for 'curtain wall' in archicad help but there was nothing there of any help to me. nothing on curtain walls in the reference guide either.
AC12 has a new Curtain Wall Tool. In prior versions, we have used Storefront Windows. There are Curtain Wall Objects in the Library as well. For irregular shapes, we have resorted to "slabified" GDL Objects.
Learn and get certified!