BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

rendering with another program

Anonymous
Not applicable
I,ve been thinking about what rendering application should I get to use with archicad.
I considered yafray, but I dont understand if you need blender. I've tried an artlantis demo and someone talked to me about cinema 4d. Can anybody give me a hand here?

thanks!
11 REPLIES 11
Djordje
Ace
in.volve wrote:
I,ve been thinking about what rendering application should I get to use with archicad.
I considered yafray, but I dont understand if you need blender. I've tried an artlantis demo and someone talked to me about cinema 4d. Can anybody give me a hand here?

thanks!
Talk to your compatriot Krippahl about Artlantis.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Dwight
Newcomer
Artlantis is an application specifically tailored to architects and makes a good effort to present tools plainly. With Artlantis 2, elements can be edited, so correcting modeling flaws is simplified from prior versions. I am developing a book called "The Artlantis Attitude: Making Great Art Without Breaking Stride" because i believe it can become that easy. Almost. But you don't wake up in the morning with the skills, you still need my book.

Cinema 4D takes much more time to learn but is a more sophisticated application, especially in the way it employs material surfaces. This is the major downfall of Artlantis, even with their new "MakeYerOwnShader" tool.

"Sub-surface scattering" is how apparent material surface depth is achieved - deep car finishes, gauze draperies, etc. Cinema and most other professional applications have this kind of ability. But it takes a long time to master since there are dozens of dialog boxes to wade through. Not that basic materials aren't in their library, but if you wish to excel in Cinema, there is considerable tweaking of light and material in both Cinema and Photoshop afterwards to achieve luminous, seductive artwork.

If you are an architect looking to present design ideas, stick with Artlantis, if you intend to move into full-time rendering/illustration work, get Cinema. And Photoshop. Photoshop is like Sugar Crisp: "Can't Get Enough of that Photoshop."

I'm just playing around here, but the attachment shows how far you can get in Artlantis.
Sample.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight,

Do you have a rough estimate of when your Art.lantis book will be available? Also, will it be structured around "Studio 2" or be more of an overview of several versions? Just wondering because I've been debating buying "The missing book" for some time now, but will wait if your book fits the bill. Any rough details would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies for wandering off topic a bit...
Dwight
Newcomer
I'll be teasing you with book bits all summer to get advance orders [at a discount], but we are looking at mid-October to deliver the final product. [Can't work with those student house painters stumbling around the flower beds like drunken, stunned rodeo clowns. Or background movie extras - their arms move but the paint does not flow.] It is an electronic display companion/success coach with quick problem-solving references. You won't take this one to the can just to look at the pictures but will keep it to the side of your display as you work. This is easy to do with Artlantis since its dialogs are so tiny.

The book is exclusively about Artlantis Studio 2 because with what the application costs and what it delivers, you'd be an idiot to not upgrade.

But don't feel that you need to wait. Start in Artlantis tomorrow because it really is easy. The new release has more-or-less automatic heliodon lighting.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think you answered my question! I've been playing a bit more and Artlantis looks great, and easy enough! I'm a bit frustrated with camera control, I got used to Archicad's "first-person-shooter like" camera control and I can't seem to do the same with Artlantis, is it possible?

thanks to all!

P.S. yes, I'm an architect, and I very much apreciate a fast learning curve, easy interface and fast rendering!

P.S. P.S. I'll try to contact Krippahl trough is blog, thank you for the tip!
Dwight
Newcomer
Everyone should own the 3D Space Navigator
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
what do you mean?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think he means this:

http://www.3dconnexion.com/3dmouse/spacenavigator.php
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh, ok! I've seen that before, a friend of mine has one! So thats the only way to mimic Archicad's 3D navigation in Artlantis? If it is I'll try it, it's so much easyer to correct perspectives!
Learn and get certified!