BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

about archicad 12 modeling and rendering capabilities

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi i just have saw the videos about new archicad 12 version , but i would like to know if there is something new improvements about modeling tools and rendering capabilities , along the new features included ,or the rendering and modeling tools capabilites remains the same ,? plk

thanks
33 REPLIES 33
stefan
Expert
3djunior wrote:
Hi i just have saw the videos about new archicad 12 version , but i would like to know if there is something new improvements about modeling tools and rendering capabilities , along the new features included ,or the rendering and modeling tools capabilites remains the same ,? plk

thanks
If you consider the Curtain object as modeling, that is new.

I have not seen differences with rendering (in fact, the old bugs from LightWorks that I mentioned are still there).
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
yes the curtain wall is a new interesting feature on modeling , i think archicad has moved more from design capabilities to institutional standards , as an architect designer , i think archicad need more options on the design free form shapes , more now , because the only one way to do this , MAXONFORM , has been discontinued
stefan
Expert
3djunior wrote:
yes the curtain wall is a new interesting feature on modeling , i think archicad has moved more from design capabilities to institutional standards , as an architect designer , i think archicad need more options on the design free form shapes , more now , because the only one way to do this , MAXONFORM , has been discontinued
It is suggested to use Cinema4D instead of MaxonForm. The plugins seem to be further developed (geometry from Cinema4D into ArchiCAD as GDL object and geometry from ArchiCAD into Cinema4D for visualization), but the cut down MaxonForm was a one-time only applications, so it seems.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
whilst cinema4d is a great program in its own right... it seems ludicrous in this day and age that a CAD package like archiCAD does not have better modelling + rendering capabilities

seems that the "base" package can do not much more than rectilinear buildings

a shame... and a missed opportunity

it would seem that the main development focus is in enhancing the documentation tools at the expense of modelling/ rendering (and even those seem to be lagging behind other applications.... or.. at best... poorly implemented)

all in all... some nice features in v12... but to my mind... disappointing overall

yukioMishima
Anonymous
Not applicable
yes i agree with you , but graphisoft has to be in mind to add this modelling
capabilities ,if it is posible in the next archicad versions , as i know there is a software in the USA market , wich offer a great modeling options to design tall buildings , i think is from microstation , , i really dont remember now . and i dont have tested only i saw an advertisement in architectural record magazine
Anonymous
Not applicable
and your rigth Stefan i have to update from maxon to C4D , but iam a little worried about if i could run both the C4D along artlantisR that iam using by now , i have an IMAC G5 ,,,2,1 GHZ power PC G5 ,,2.5 GB ram memory
stefan wrote:
3djunior wrote:
It is suggested to use Cinema4D instead of MaxonForm. The plugins seem to be further developed (geometry from Cinema4D into ArchiCAD as GDL object and geometry from ArchiCAD into Cinema4D for visualization), but the cut down MaxonForm was a one-time only applications, so it seems.

......not that I'm blaming you or any of the other betatesters for this, but for Graphisoft's part that's just plain ridiculous.

It was not more than 2 or 3 years ago (shortly after Maxonform was released and people were wondering if this was to be GS's strategy for dealing with the development of modeling tools) that one of their own developers on this very forum stated that, Maxonform, or rather the presence of Maxonform was not to be taken as a sign that they were not interested in developing or improving ArchiCAD's core modeling tools, and in fact his words were something to the effect that Maxonform is not a part of Graphisoft's long-term plans and strategies for the modeling tools development.

I wish I could find that exact post - one of the few times they used to ever bother to responding to user posts questions and inquiries; I'll try to see if I can find it, but I distinctly remember it, as being an indicator that it was not necessary to invest in purchasing or learning Maxonform over the long term, if one didn't need to since GS seemed inclined to bring the level and power of AC's modeling tool-set to the level, or rather, close to the level of Maxonform in terms of versatility and robustness. In fact this perception, for lack of further clarification from GS themselves subsequently seemed to be supported by their ceasing support for further Maxonform development last year ( a plugin, which I must say, neither they nor Maxon seemed interested in developing even as it remained deeply rooted in C4D's antiquated v9.1 engine even as C4D got upgraded to v9.5 and v10 and v10.5 last year) as most people anticipated, or rather hoped for considerable if not vast improvements in AC's modeling tools in v12 and possibly 13, following Version 11's poor improvements in this area.

And yet here we are after the announcement of v12 and the company line is a suggestion to use Cinema4D instead of Maxonform? Again I say, ridiculous!

I for one don't like C4D's interface, it's GUI or it's work-flow. It's a program that was developed for product developers, character modelers and animators and consequently the logic by which you perform different functions in it in the sense of modeling greatly differs from that of conventional CAD and architectural design/modeling tools. Even compared to most of ArchiCAD's other third-party plugins that try to integrate the logic or a sense of the logic of AC's interface and workflow, it's just like working in a different world. And Let's not even forget that the bridge itself was/is so problematic that geometry that could be easily handled in Maxonform/C4D, when transferred back to ArchiCAD, couldn't be easily documented (which was part of the whole point) if you were lucky, or more likely it easily cause it to crash due to the polycount, despite optimization in C4D.

And I don't even consider the Curtain wall tool to be an improvement of the modeling tool-set since only a limited number of people stand to benefit from it given it's apparent limitations and GS's usual half-step implementation ala the Complex profiler from AC10. How would it be of benefit to residential designers, for example? Don't even get me started on the fact that rendering capabilities in AC (which are grounded in a poorly, crippled and half-heartedly implemented Lightworks engine from 3 versions ago, are also now loped off to C4D as well (or Artlantis if you prefer that route).

I'll actually wait until they release the program, but from everything I've seen thus far, ArchiCAD 12 is, or rather is going to be a disappointment in many areas. I mean, if I understand it well, the stair tool is still a migraine to work with, especially if you're designing a custom stair and might want custom handrails, balustrades or panes, only with v12 you now have more accurate ways to document your frustrations with expanded 2D symbols . But that's okay, I guess- after all, there's always C4D for anything beyond the realm of the 8 or 9 template stairs that they have in the stair tool. Right.

The speed improvements and multi-core optimizations are great, particularly if they enable the developers to now concentrate, on addressing all these issues and deficiencies from so many versions back. But frankly speaking, I think there's little benefit to upgrading to this version, especially if one is not going to be designing straight faced, vertical storefronts and building's with curtain-wall facades that don't diverge on the Z-axis, and if also if one might need some robust modeling beyond the capabilities of the Complex Profiler and SEO to handle with ease, at anytime during the next year. I'll just wait to see what version 13 offers next year before assessing what direction this program seems to be headed in for the future.

It's a pity because I really like using this program - but the time is fast approaching when the technical realities of my professional requirements and needs will vastly surpass my sentimentalism.
3djunior wrote:
yes i agree with you , but graphisoft has to be in mind to add this modelling
capabilities ,if it is posible in the next archicad versions , as i know there is a software in the USA market , wich offer a great modeling options to design tall buildings , i think is from microstation , , i really dont remember now . and i dont have tested only i saw an advertisement in architectural record magazine
Microstation is indeed a powerful tool (in terms of modeling) but with a god-aweful interface and high learning curve. Revit seem to be trying to match them for modeling robustness (with tools like building-maker, Swept-blend and better Boolean operator managers) while also trying to improve their own interface and make it more user-friendly. Rhino which is traditionally not an architectural program but is one of the best Nurbs/free-form modelers with an easy to grasp interface, for anyone in the CAD and design industry, also seems to be trying to improve their documentation and parametric capabilities to tap into the dissatisfied niche of mostly architectural designers seeking better modeling tools for non-rectilinear or non-orthogonal forms.

Graphisoft on the other hand, still believe they don't need to improve these areas.....

.......go figure.
Anonymous
Not applicable
And I don't even consider the Curtain wall tool to be an improvement of the modeling tool-set since only a limited number of people stand to benefit from it given it's apparent limitations and GS's usual half-step implementation ala the Complex profiler from AC10. How would it be of benefit to residential designers, for example?
I would wait and see if it is as "limited" as you think it might be. I saw a tudor half timber wall, a decorative tile floor, a handrail, a timber roof and a sloping skylight curb made using the "curtain wall tool". It really functions in a different way than previous tools and seems to indicate a whole different direction for "tool" development from GS.

I only have limited exposure to the tool, but I'd wait to see what it is capable of before writing it off as unusable for residential use.

Don Lee
Learn and get certified!