Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

how to make a good resoluation in A2 sheet

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am doing the photo of the building , but i am not sure how to adjust the resolution for A2 sheet. is it too big or i have to go to photoshop to re-size it?

ericyang
8 REPLIES 8
Dwight
Newcomer
A2 = 16x24" or so.

Say you print 15 x 22"

For good image resolution, you need 150 DPI =

2250 x 3300 pixels

How many pixels do you have?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
i remembered 999 x???
Dwight
Newcomer
The currency of rendering is pixels. The more you have , the sharper it is up to the limit of your machine that will probably be around 150 pixels per inch.

If you don't know how many pixels you have, then i cannot assist you.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
The currency of rendering is pixels. The more you have , the sharper it is up to the limit of your machine that will probably be around 150 pixels per inch.

If you don't know how many pixels you have, then i cannot assist you.
the limit is not the resolution of the printer
a bitmap with the same resolution as the printer output is not enough because the pixels in the bitmap will usualy not align with the dots of the printing output.
if you have a higher resolution bitmap the then the software will interpolate the colour of the printer dots using more pixels from the bitmap.
This is supersampling and its practicaly the same thing as antialiasing
Dwight
Newcomer
We exhibit high quality photography using 150-200 dpi files and these file densities produce smooth and perfectly sharp images.

Some printers might get better results with high quality photography, but it is a waste of time for Archicad users to make images higher than 150 dpi since Archicad library textures start to blur, and rendering times become needlessly extended.

I gave the advice i did since that user obviously had a small image that is going to blur up regardless of what up-sampling might happen in Photoshop.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
but it is a waste of time for Archicad users to make images higher than 150 dpi since Archicad library textures start to blur, and rendering times become needlessly extended.
So with regards to the LW rendering settings we should never exceed 150 dpi? I've been doing my renderings at 300 dpi. If I remember correctly I was using one of the settings in the LW book. Or, I may have referenced to one of your screen shots and assumed those were the right settings. I don't have the book next to me at the moment but I'll take a look at it tonight. I certainly do not want to needlessly extend my rendering times if I don't have to.
Dwight
Newcomer
You HAVE caught me out. The book does show a 300 dpi setting. You'd use 300 dpi if you were exporting to offset like when i was doing the book. Duh.

But in my experience, 150 dpi - 180 dpi is the practical limit for Archicad output to inkjet printing when making photo-like images - not high resolution plans, for example, where pure black lines can be resolved more sharply. As post-processing evolves, fewer and fewer pixels will be required for acceptable images [even tho these images will lack detail, they will still appear 'sharp'.]

Today, even at 100 dpi, inkjet printers process images to provide sharp edges, even if at close viewing the textures look smeared.

You might like to experiment with your particular setup, but generally speaking Archicad users have two resolution misunderstandings: they expect a screen resolution image to blow up 'big,' and they create time-consuming over-sampled images that waste productivity without necessarily making better images.

Further, image resolution is related to viewing distance. Many users assume that an indistinct image needs more pixels when what it needs is a post-process called "sharpening," instead.

Sharpening increases contrast between pixels it decides are "Edges" and smoothes areas it thinks are flat [based on their native contrast]. It is strictly related to output size and viewing distance - a billboard needs few pixels because it is seen from far away, but it needs extra contrast to be distinct from a great distance.

Likewise, when you computer makes a tiny preview of a photo, it adds sharpening to keep what would be blurred pixels distinct.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for clarifying that Dwight . And thanks for the additional tips.