Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

cutting planes???

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi all,
I`ve made some form using mesh tool and solid elements operations (please see the attached picture - I think it is not possible to make something like this, such triangulated forms only with wall tool in archicad??? or I am wrong!?!)
anyway, now I have to draw the floor plans inside, but I really don`t know how to cut that shape horisontally so I could get the outlines of each floor? is there such tool in archicad? any suggestions?
thanks in advance!
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
How many stories due you have assigned, or want to assign to it?
I would think you would start by having general function concepts.
Does not look like all your spaces will have same usable space due
to radically sloping sections.
You might want to pencil in basic ideas.
Limit and define usage, first, otherwise you will be all over the map.
Bier
Anonymous
Not applicable
hi bier, thanks for your answer!
I`ve thought already about those parameters, and approximatly I allready know where my functions are, and why does it look like that. there has to be 4 stories in this thing.
no offence, but I was expecting more constructive comments...

so the question is still: is it possible in archicad to cut the mesh form with some horisontal planes so that one could see the cut lines and use them as a borders of each floor of the building?
(I could do that in 3DS max but it wouldn`t be a really smooth workflow to bring those lines back to archicad...)
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
sergiofunk wrote:
I have to draw the floor plans inside, but I really don`t know how to cut that shape horisontally so I could get the outlines of each floor? is there such tool in archicad? any suggestions?
Just use the 3D cutting planes, change your view to internal engine/hidden line, and copy/paste the linework to the floor plan. Progressively move your cutting plane to the height of the next storey and repeat.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
It may be possible to build this shape using roofs.
Roofs react to the floor plan cut plane so each floor
could be on it's own story and the outside walls
as roofs would display correctly. Unfortunately,
the mesh to roof add-on can't be used to
automatically construct the roofs because
the add-on makes each different pitch of roof
have a different thickness.
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
thank you people for your answers.
for ralph: that was exactly what I needed! and I didn`t even know that there
is such tool named "cutting planes":)
but there is one more problem: if I cut the form in desired height and set the
view to internal engine/hidden line, as you said, I am than not able to copy
those lines to the floor plan... I can still select only the rest of the forms that
were cutted, but not the lines only...
any idea?
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
sergiofunk wrote:
there is one more problem: if I cut the form in desired height and set the view to internal engine/hidden line, as you said, I am than not able to copy those lines to the floor plan...
Select the marquee tool, set the method to 'flat' (i.e. a simple flat rectangle), draw a box around the bounds of the lines you want, and "Copy". You will get some options for the linework and fills to be copied.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
it works! thanks a lot!