BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

!Restored: ArchiCad VS AutoCad

Anonymous
Not applicable
I`m in a firm where we use ArchiCad for decorating library`s in 3D. Now`I`ve been asked to find out if it would be better to work in AutoCad or ArchiCad. In my mind it is easier with ArchiCad because it is very easy to do the renderings and so on. And I have an idea that the drawings get very heavy in AutoCad, when it is in 3D.

Can any body guide me here ??.

Thanks
Lykke
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you like ArchiCad I can't se anything that would help you doing it better in AutoCad???
But maybe I missunderstood, are you decorating library in buildings in 3d or decorating 3d library objects?
If it the last option, then maybe AutoCad could do it better, but if it's the first option, then I would say ArchiCad is the way to go.

A well prepared templatefile, organized favourites and you can't do it faster than in ArchiCad. and in your situation, this shouldn't be that hard to build.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you so much for the response.
I am not doing the symbols, only decorating...and yes, I prefer to use Archicad, but wanted to hear from others, so your answer are much appreciated.
Djordje
Ace
On the conceptual level, you are comparing apples and pears. AutoCAD is CAD, ArchiCAD (oh yes, the name ...) is VB/BIM. No comparison.

Plain English: AutoCAD is drafting. Lines and text. The computer does not know that a line is an edge of a counter. ArchiCAD is what is popularly known as BIM. The computer knows that a chair is a chair, that a wall is a wall.

There is a HUGE difference between the 3D CAD model (AutoCAD) and the BIM model (ArchiCAD). In ArchiCAD, the 3D is the graphical representation of the underlying database, that is your project built in the cyberspace.

So ... read up. I think that in most places ArchiCAD is also cheaper than AutoCAD, cheaper to run, and you don't have your hands tied with the license.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Don't waste your time with Autocad! That program is c**p.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The underlying approach of the question does not make any sense. Suppose I walk into Pizza Hut and ask, "which do you think is better, Pizza Hut or Dominoes?" Your asking a community of users that have already decided that Archicad is the dominant program. The members that participate on the boards tend to be more super fanatical about the program. The users that don't care which program is better aren't spending time being concerned about what's going on in the community. Unfortunately for you they would be the only ones capable of giving you an unbiased break down of the two. My suggestion is that the two (if not all cad software) companies merge, bag everything, and spend three years making one ring to rule them all.
TomWaltz
Participant
I think it's pretty accepted among architects that BIM is the way of the future. Autocad may still be quite common, but is losing ground to its cousin software pretty quickly.

It's more like walking into a Pizza Hut and asking whether to get pizza or a taco.
Tom Waltz
Dennis Lee
Booster
or like going to NY Yankees forum and asking whether Redsox or Yankees are better...
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
I think it's pretty accepted among architects that BIM is the way of the future. Autocad may still be quite common, but is losing ground to its cousin software pretty quickly.

It's more like walking into a Pizza Hut and asking whether to get pizza or a taco.
Depending on the state, some Pizza Huts have a taco pizza. It's O.K. not to know that, I really wish I didn't.
Anonymous
Not applicable
How funny... I`m just using my local pizzeria Real italian(owner from Turkey), maybe that`s why I have to ask...

As you might have guest, I am not a computer genies... So I am happy for your answers...
From what I read I will continue with ArchiCad...
Learn and get certified!