BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC 13? AC2009?

Anonymous
Not applicable
For a long time I have agitated for strategic thinking by senior management in Graphisoft, on the future development of ArchiCAD. Of course, from a user’s perspective, there is very little we can ascertain except by what we see shipped with each successive release.
On the basis of current and pending releases this forum contains much discontent regarding the pace and quality of change and development.

In years past ArchiCAD had a defining set of tools. Now we see significant competitors emerging who are not only cashed up, but are offering newer software with significant new features that are better implemented and more stable. For example:
• Native 3d modelling tools that use a graphical interface, included in the software.
• Parametric objects that can be assembled with relationships to others.
Of course these are but a few of many issues.
So how does one compete?
Given the resources of the competition some lateral thinking is required.

The answer already exists although the potential has been missed.
Graphisoft has developed an add-on strategy for many tools. So, when Graphisoft needed a quality renderer for ArchiCAD, it included a licensed version of Lightworks*. This approach enabled a key feature to be provided, that was beyond Graphisoft’s resources to develop.
So for the future, why not embrace some global partners?** Allow them to share development cost and risk. Build their components into the base software, and let them get appropriate remuneration for their contribution. Why is this win-win?
• ArchiCAD rapidly gets features that are long overdue, or new features that assist in delineating it’s place in the market.
• Graphisoft software engineers can concentrate on core programming, integration and optimisation.
• Partners may get renumerated less (per seat) for their product, but see revenue for every seat of ArchiCAD sold.
• Partners have a vested interest in developing excellent tools, as they play a real role in the continued viability of the software in the marketplace, and see fiscal reward for their work.

Right now, there are a few examples that would make a significant contribution to the next version of ArchiCAD, for example Cadimage’s “Revision Manager”. So let us users all hope that Graphisoft Management are brave enough to take some fundamental steps toward securing ArchiCAD’s future.

* Unfortunately most users will acknowledge that the implementation of Lightworks in ArchiCAD is poor, while experts are even more scathing about how ineptly this has been handled! A rather unfortunate precedent, but one that need not be repeated.

** The new mantra across many industries is globalization. When implemented it also involves risk and investment sharing. My interest in aviation prompts an analogy to Boeing and its 787. (Accepting of course this programme has had some hiccups, it nevertheless is widely applauded as “the future way of doing business”). This precedent shows it is not “too hard” to adopt risk sharing partners and define appropriate rewards in order to beat the competition to market, and create cutting-edge technologies. How much easier when only software is involved?!
45 REPLIES 45
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
oreopoulos wrote:
If you think everything is going fine, then you are not using AC for production, or you are not using it as you should (dont be surprised, a lot of people use AC as a 2D drafting tool)

Amen, brother!
like we all here use AC for zooming in and out a bit panning and rearranging WE only. Guys, this software did help to build a big number of buildings from the very first sketch to the occupation certificate. I am sorry but what you do is exactly a meaningless banter if you ask me.
::rk
Petros wrote:
Dwight ,
how many times have you seen a post here asking about a proper plan representation of SEO's?
I've seen it in every forum (from wishes to cd's). -from experienced and new users.
How many official responses did they get?
Is this considered a "meaningless banter"?

And please note that people are arguing just for a response and not yelling for a "fix it right now" solution.
quoted for emphasis and agreement.

I've also been curious about the SEO's 2D representation problems for the last 3 or so versions since its been in existence and have probably brought it up once or twice in the forums and wishes sections. But I guess since GS have not, and seemingly will not, respond via private message to me nor even via their own forum, I guess I have been engaging in meaningless banter all this time. Wish I knew.

Isn't it always so refreshing to have one's serious concerns (concerns that have been brought up in a level-headed and respectful way many times, mind you), be so flippantly dismissed by others as being no more important than idle and bothersome chatter?
Dwight
Newcomer
Bricklyne wrote:
I guess since GS have not, and seemingly will not, respond via private message to me nor even via their own forum, I guess I have been engaging in meaningless banter all this time. Wish I knew.
Even though i know that you intend sarcasm, that's about right.

There's no answer, or there's no one tasked to answer, or they don't care to answer since it extends an embarrassing thread that can get picked up and broadcast through search engines to sully the product, or some idiot DOES answer you and that just makes you MORE angry. For instance: ten years ago when i was getting serious about rendering in Archicad, I complained to HQ about material texture quality. An executive replied to me: "They can always buy the Artlantis shaders." Right. Abandon the internal engine i already paid for, BUY ANOTHER APPLICATION and then BUY MORE SHADERS!!! This is like Marie Antoinette saying "let them eat cake" when she doesn't mean chocolate cake but something else. Angry, me.

All-in-all, if i had a software company in Hungary, I'd tell my people to STFU in the face of difficult questions, too. See this video to know what i mean.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gCCjFbFXn8

I feel that encouraging persistent ranting or nagging on the forum because users don't get the responses they want from Graphisoft descends to the level of meaningless banter and alienates other users. This is because I believe that in the rare instance when HQ CAN give a positive answer, it happens.
Furthermore, some writing styles lend themselves to be interpreted as whining and flat-out unreasonable complaining, itself alienating.
You don't want to be getting the Adalbert Award, now.
Dwight Atkinson
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Isn't it always so refreshing to have one's serious concerns (concerns that have been brought up in a level-headed and respectful way many times, mind you), be so flippantly dismissed by others as being no more important than idle and bothersome chatter?
oh yes, the drama and pathos...
I can assure you that GS hears you and they are aware of 'issues'. I can't tell whether they fix it soon or later or ever, however making a theatrical piece out of it and hoping for some Deus ex machina (being consistent with theatrical terms) just because you will keep the pitch of your voice at the level of a feisty opera singer. It will not give you any answers...
::rk
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rob wrote:
like we all here use AC for zooming in and out a bit panning and rearranging WE only. Guys, this software did help to build a big number of buildings from the very first sketch to the occupation certificate. I am sorry but what you do is exactly a meaningless banter if you ask me.
15 years ago, Archicad was also used to produce buildings. But as you see this is not an answer. It has to do with the accuracy of drawing, contol, speed, editing speed, cost control and much more.

15 years ago we still used trains. But we build better and faster trains. Do you think there is no need for those new trains?

I dont say Archicad is crap. Not at all. On the contrary i like Archicad.

But i am not blind to see that there are MAJOR DRAWBACKS to how the program works. Asking for the obvious is not bantering.

Revit and Bentley Architecture use relationships. Do you think its not important. I think it very important for every architect.
Dimensioning for all of us is important. How more natural when changing the text of the dimension to actually change the distance of the objects (if one wants). Yes i can do it manually, as i can walk 500Km but i use a car or a plane.
I can assure you that GS hears you and they are aware of 'issues'. I can't tell whether they fix it soon or later or ever, however making a theatrical piece out of it and hoping for some Deus ex machina (being consistent with theatrical terms) just because you will keep the pitch of your voice at the level of a feisty opera singer. It will not give you any answers...
You think they are listening as you think there is god. I never assume.
All data show that GS is not listening (though this does not exclude the possibility GS is hearing)
Rob wrote:
Rob if you're quite happy with the product the way it is, (and one would have to assume so, from your pointlessly dismissive comments, that this is the case) then I'm happy for you. Good on you good for you; go forth mint more success for you and yours.

However, 2 things;

1)your contentment that doesn't mean that anyone else who has concerns or issues with the program and the lack of responses from GS about it has to bottle it and just swallow them up, sing hallelujahs and praises like yourself. You have just as much right as to praise the product just as others have to criticize it and voice their complaints - particularly as those complaints are with regards to concerns impede their ability to similarly mint their own little worlds of success like you.

The difference to me, it seems, is that those voicing genuine complaints and raising real issues don't seem to be dismissing or belittling those without complaints or the cheering squad, as the case may be.
But that's okay, as it clearly says more about you than it does about me or any of the complainers. So keep it up - I'm sure it does wonders for the good old ego.

2)If these complaints and issues really do qualify as meaningless banter or drama and pathos as you oh-so-wittily put it, then I guess the really reeeally important question is; who is it that has a big gun to your head who's is forcing you to participate in what, obviously seems to be such a big ugly smudge on your neat and perfect little world, in what is meaningless banter, a big waste of time and a general annoyance and nuisance? And how can we get him to stop it at once? Last time I checked, it's a free world (well, mostly anyway) and one can choose to ignore things that annoy them or that they feel is beneath them not deserving of their attention, and simply not respond. It's easy; just ask GS.

Of course, one would have to be forgiven for assuming that nobody forced you to partake of this meaningless banter and all the drama, but, appearances can be deceiving.

In any case, I'm not hoping for a Deus ex machina (seems way too complicated and overwrought) or anything of that grand nature.
A response every now and then, and a generally more frequent presence would be a nice start though.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think there is a big communication problem.
I am not saying that archicad isnt making any progress.

There are many "small" features that i really find them great (e.g the tracker when drawing in 2d, actually another half done feature. Why not nake 3d tracking too?? I really wonder) but AC has not introduced any groundbreaking feature (that competitors would like to copy) in the last years.

Except Virtual Trace, i cannot recall any feature that is not there in other competitive programs (which was not the case 5-10 years ago).

The one thing i find AC clearly superior of all other apps is its project manager.

From my position i can only do what i do now. Ring a bell (well a big bell
)
David Shorter
Advisor
Autodimensions
Archicad 4.1 to 27 Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
Anonymous
Not applicable
...go check out the DataCAD forum.
From the chief programmer to the president of the company...they all participate quite actively in the forum.

http://forum.datacad.com/index.php

I am not aware of a software company more involved in their own forum.
Having used DataCAD for many years I just took it for granted that the guys writing the software would be directly communicating with the guys using the software.
I was really wrong making that assumption.
I swear I'm not trying to poke the hornets nest with a stick, I just wanted some of you guys who are dismissing the notion that Graphisoft should be involved closely on this forum and with its users to see what it could be like.
It a very pleasant experience, I assure you.

Disclaimer: DataCAD is light-years behind ArchiCAD and I haven't the foggiest idea how they differ in difficulty of progamming...I'm speaking purely of the relationship that the company has with a fiercely loyal group of users.
TomWaltz
Participant
David wrote:
Autodimensions
What about them? Do you mean that they would be a great feature if they actually dimensioned the way an architect does?
Tom Waltz
Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!