BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

What was the way of avoiding this in Artlantis?

I thought I remembered it was smoothness but it is not changing anything here. Then I thought it was related to the default shader so I tried basic shader and nothing changed.

Artlantis 2, default or basic shader with a brick texture with a bump.

Picture 2.png
6 REPLIES 6
Dwight
Newcomer
This is moire.

"When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's moire"

It is an unfortunate coincidence between the bitmap rendering resolution and your display.

Doe it happen at all resolutions?

Can you make it go away in a larger rendering?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
This can also be caused by low quality textures. What is the size/quality of the texure you use?

Sjaak
Dwight
Newcomer
And turn off bumping - see what happens.
Dwight Atkinson
Great, the problem disappears with
- making the rendering much larger leaving the texture as it is (it is a poor texture, 70 pix square for a 3-brick-wide picture), or
- adding resolution to the texture (made image size 5x in Photoshop) without needing to change the rendering size.

I'll Photoshop the textures a bit and all will be fine. Thanks very much.
Karl Ottenstein
Ignacio wrote:
I'll Photoshop the textures a bit and all will be fine. Thanks very much.
Or use the Artlantis brick shaders? Or the Dosch brick? Much higher res / quality without visible repeats.

Other than the low res texture in your case, the smoothness slider always does it for me. Used to be (v 1.2?) a mip-mapping option that reduced moire also, but this appears to be automatic in 2.0.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I haven't test Artlantis enough,
but, if my brain still works and not take a vacation I think, other software antialiasing at highest rate should help a bit in lower resolutions? Isn't it (you other people that still have working brains)?
Learn and get certified!