BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Properties linking?

Anonymous
Not applicable
For example I take a window from library - modify it my way - and make a lot of copies around the building of the same window. For further editing - I would like to modify just one of all those windows - but see changes in all of copied windows - but I don't want to select all the windows and then edit it's properties. I just want to fix one window that references to other copies of it. So any ideas?
3 REPLIES 3
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
You'll have to select all of the windows. The best way is with Find and Select -- ideally, you would have given all like windows the same ID, and Find and Select would be a snap.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Barry Kelly
Laura wrote:
You'll have to select all of the windows. The best way is with Find and Select -- ideally, you would have given all like windows the same ID, and Find and Select would be a snap.
Once selected with Find & Select you can save the selection criterion for future use.
Or if you open the Selections palette you can save the actual selection you have on screen.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
If the building has some sort of systematic envelope, you can create envelope modules (a chunk of wall with your window/s).

This is especially nice when your window appears in several building files -- this way you can control all their instances in all buildings from the file from which you save/publish your envelope modules (if your window appears with different parameters or in different patterns over several envelope modules, you can still select all of them in order to change say their material or reveals in the module creation file).

But sometimes even for a single building: when you want to model some flashing or HVAC something that goes together with the window arrangement, or change the window dimensions without keeping it centered, or move it to the right and add an operable pane, or replace the window with a totally new type with different parameters, etc., you just cannot do that by Find-Selecting.
Learn and get certified!