BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Bolt object adjustment

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey,

Who can tweak the code on a 2D bolt that I have so that the nut and washer doesn't' shrink and stretch when I adjust the length?

I'd appreciate some help on that. I see that it works on a great bolt that you can make into a carriage bolt and such, I want it to work that way on this lag bolt that I have. I'm a little tired of having to choose Lag 4, Lag 6....depending on the bolt length I want.

I imagine if you know what you are doing it would only take a little time.

Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Not sure what lag you are talking about. Could you elaborate?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a 2D library part of a lag bolt with a washer and the hex end as well as a 2D library part of all thread rod with a washer and hex on each end. I want to be able to have one library part that I can lengthen the lag's shaft and not have the washer and hex distort as the shaft lengthens and shortens. There is a free download bolt part that does this but I am incompetent (and choose to remain) in GDL. I want to have the washer and hex remain at the fixed size and then stretch the bolt to 12", 14", 6" etc.

Thanks for any help. I'll pay for a bolt that works, I know it will take someone some time. Let me know if you have the abilities to do this.
Bolts.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you could send me the library part I'd like to look at it. No gaurantees as I am not an expert in GDL but I'd like to give it a try.
Anonymous
Not applicable
There is a bolt on the site opengdl
http://www.opengdl.org/gdl-de/obj00010.htm
But it is for the metric system.
You want something like that?
Anonymous
Not applicable
-Valery, yes, like that. We have that bolt and use it in some applications. The "lag" isn't ideal and we also want the threads to show the full length when we use it in an "all thread" application. But as to the nut end not shrinking, that would be just right with an added washer.
-4thorns where can I send the part outside of architalk?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Derek,

You can send it to my email address, 4thorns@roadrunner.com. After I read and replied to your post I decided to mess around and see if I could script a lag myself. I searched online for lag specs and found something that I should have thought of to begin with. Different size lags have different size heads. When you say the heads are stretching could it just be that they are adjusting to the lag size?

Doug
Anonymous
Not applicable
No, the bolt is not correctly adjusting to the lag size, it stretches in proportion to the length of the bolt you make. We want the washer and hex head to be consistent no matter the length of the shaft.

We want the 2D lag to work like one side of the shareware bolt (with the consistent hex and washer) but have the other side look like our 2D lag with the shaft and threads at the end and then be able to define the length by stretching the part and or by picking a length from a pull down (like you can do with the 2x4 part, you choose “custom” and make it what you want, or you define by choosing 2x4, 2x6…)

Thanks for your PM
Anonymous
Not applicable
Derek,

Just wanted to let you know I haven’t forgotten about the lag object. Most of it is scripted but it’s been a little hectic around here so it’s not done yet. It’s based on lag manufacturers’ specs that I found online so it creates an object that should be fairly accurate. It has the ability to be “All thread” as you asked or partially threaded. It’s set up now with a pull down menu for the diameter of the lag(1/4"-1"@1/8" increments). The length is determined by the user. I can add script to put in a menu for the length if you would like. I would just need to know all the lengths that you need. One thing I did notice is that your lag was created by saving 2d lines as an object. Anytime something is saved this way (3D Objects as well) and you stretch it, Everything will stretch. In order to get it to act the way we want it to, changes would have to be made to the script or it would have to be made from scratch.

Doug
Gops
Participant
Hi,

go the following site: http://www.archicadselect.com

You will have to register.

Then go to "Archicad Objects"

Download the "Archicadselect Library Archive". It is the eleventh items about 9 MB and its free.

There is a 3D "Bolt Object".
AC 16-17, Win 7 4 Gig RAM
Learn and get certified!