BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

roof issue

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi guys,

have been banging my head off the desk all day trying to figure out to make a curved pitch roof,however the roof tool just doesnt seem to be capable of what i am asking.

essentially i want to put a pitch roof on a semi circular building.....the best picture i could find to demonstrate is this picture (see attached). The shape of the descending seat is essentialy what i want the roof to do in my model.

the problem is that the pitch is not straight, it must adapt to match the curvature of the wall....anyone know how to accomplish this?

029_-_Theatre_Seats.JPG
9 REPLIES 9
You don't need to use a "Roof" for a roof like this.

Try the Profiler to make the roof. Use SEO to fit the walls to it.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Options:

1. Curved profiled wall (best)

2. Segmented roof pitches (wedge shapes in an arc)

3. Write a library part (only worthwhile if you need to add special functions/behaviors and have plenty of time on your hands)
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks a mill guys,will try that
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks guys,turned out that the wedge sections was the best way to approach it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
right another of my rather newbish questions:

i want to trim a wall to roof height but it is being intersected by two roofs and i want it to trim to the higher one and not the lower one-can this be done or do i have to redraw the lower roof after trimming?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Select the upper roof and the wall together and trim. Since you are not selecting the lower wall the program knows you only want to trim the higher one.

Lew Bishop
MBP 2.16 17"
AC latest
OS X latest
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks a mill
Anonymous
Not applicable
Even better, use solid element operations.
Anonymous
Not applicable
lol believe it or not i found this option later on and used it before reading your post!
Learn and get certified!