Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

V12 in general

Tom Krowka
Booster
Have received my upgrades, but am hesitant to install until after the first bug fix. Got burned at the V11 upgrade due to bugs; lost productivity, hence $$, due to problems with the software. After the bug fixes, solved my problems.

Looking for input on this version in general; anyone found any major issues yet. I don't like being the tester for the developer at my expense.

Recommendation whether to move to 12 or stay with 11 for a while.
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
14 REPLIES 14
TomWaltz
Participant
I usually recommend waiting a month or so to see if anyone here on the forum hits anything major. If there's anything really bad, it usually turns up here pretty quickly.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Using AC12 for 12 hours hard now.
The only bug I seem to be encountering so far is in 3d window, 3d explore is a bit choppy. Works great sometimes but then gets choppy until I restart. Maybe it is VSynch or something.
3D pan and rotate is a bit squirrelly as well. Nothing real bad but definitely a bug.
Easiest migration I have had yet by far. (AC11 to AC12)
Doesn't seem much has changed. I have not played with the curtain wall tool yet. Mainly just using it the same way as I used AC11 and everything is working.
Changed my newest project over to 12 Library pretty quickly. Added all the new stuff to my work environment. My old work environment carried over like a champ.

No crashes at all.
Was it AC10 that would delete all of the sheets....

Nothing like that yet...
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
So far, so good. The only problem so far is kitchen cabinets in the AC 11 migration library. I will just go back to the AC11 library, I guess. (Job started in AC11).
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Karl Ottenstein
Stephen wrote:
So far, so good. The only problem so far is kitchen cabinets in the AC 11 migration library. I will just go back to the AC11 library, I guess. (Job started in AC11).
(I just read about the new interface for the 12 cabinets, but have not tried them.)

I thought the 11 migration library was basically an 11 subset. If an 11 object does not work with the 11 migration lib, you might want to describe the problem/conflict more fully so that GS can fix it if you have time...?

Thanks,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Re: kitchen cabs in AC11 migration library. The depth doesn't seem to adjust properly. The already placed cabinets were set to 2'-0" deep. The migration library shows them less than that with the doors/drawers floating out in front (where they should be).
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Karl Ottenstein
Amazingly bad! One wonders why in the world GS would modify the objects in the migration library instead of just provide a subset of the actual 11 library.

I just confirmed what you reported by placing a lower and an upper in plan with default settings. Opening the project in 12 with the migration library shows the counter and face (drawers/doors) correctly placed, but the entire carcass/toe kick is recessed.

Based on this, I guess I would have to recommend that anyone moving from 11 save their project as a PLA in order to archive their project-specific 11 subset and use the PLA lib instead of the migration lib until GS issues a functioning subset library.

I've reported the issue (#20221).

Cheers,
Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
__archiben
Booster
Karl wrote:
Amazingly bad! One wonders why in the world GS would modify the objects in the migration library instead of just provide a subset of the actual 11 library.
could it be using a modified macro that the 12 cabinets are using? still, bad management even so . . .

b
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Karl Ottenstein
~/archiben wrote:
Karl wrote:
could it be using a modified macro that the 12 cabinets are using? still, bad management even so . . .

b
Well...it shouldn't be ... as the new library PDF says that one of the reasons that 12 (and future versions) will no longer match lib parts by name was conflicts with macros, so even macros are matched by GUID now (supposedly). On the other hand, you might be on to something, Ben, since the FIRST time you open an 11 (or earlier) project, 12 WILL attempt to match by name. Once saved, that feature is gone forever. Hmmmm....

Like you say, bad however you spin it...

Cheers,
Karl
Rick Thompson
Expert
Karl.. that's interesting. Since I open and close so many files in a day, I was wondering why some files opened with that warning, and some don't. I was wondering if it was because those files with the warning were a beta after glow... or what? I have no Ac12 library parts loading however, just "my" carry over library I use with all my "stock" plans... which has some very old parts. I will start to check which pln's open which way.. pre 12 or after being saved in 12.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display