BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

multicore or multi-processor

Stephen Dolbee
Booster
I know AC12 exploits multicore processors. Does anyone know if that applies to more than one processor? I have a Dell workstation that will accept another xeon processor (not multicore, of course). Will I see any speed increase by adding one? Just running one program at a time (AC12).

Thanks
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
7 REPLIES 7
__archiben
Booster
multi-core, multi-processor and multi-threading all with regard to archicad, explained here:

http://www.archicadwiki.com/Multiprocessing

have a read and see what would be best for you.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Karl Ottenstein
I second Ben's recommendation of the wiki article (which I've edited a bit from time to time).

The difference between multicore and multiprocessor is a subtle engineering and marketing lingo (not tech lingo) one. Intel decided to apply the name 'processor' to a chip that has multiple instruction processing units, yet shares a memory cache, muddying the waters IMHO.

From a user perspective, a single chip that basically contains two processors ('cores') is pretty much the same as two chips that each contain one - in either case, two processes/threads can be running concurrently.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Thank you, Karl and Ben. I read the article and it looks as though adding a processor (in my case) will speed up AC12. I think this will be the cheapest way to go-although I would rather buy a new Mac! Maybe next year.

Steve
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Steve,

You're welcome...but I just noticed your full signature. 1 GB memory is not enough (you need 2 GB minimum) nor is 128 MB for your display adapter (256 MB minimum recommended).

I wonder if the new chip, memory, and display adapter are a wise investment? (How much does it look like it would cost? If the display adapter has socketed VRAM, maybe you can just upgrade its memory.)

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve,

To add to what Karl said, my experience is that it is rarely cost effective to upgrade old equipment. I once bought a machine with one processor on a dual processor motherboard and later discovered that adding the second processor was not just a simple plug and play process. Make sure that your upgrade will be a painless process or any savings will quickly evaporate in time lost.

BTW, which generation of Xeon is it? The other specs suggest that this is an older machine of the Pentium era and not one of the new generation bearing the Xeon name.

A brand new Mac Pro can be very nicely equipped for under $3500. It might be better to make payments if necessary and get a dramatically faster machine now.
Stress Co_
Advisor
Matthew wrote:
A brand new Mac Pro can be very nicely equipped for under $3500. It might be better to make payments if necessary and get a dramatically faster machine now.
$2,400 for a 24" iMac is another option.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
You may be right. Upgrades alone could be $600-$800 or more. I have been coveting the new 24" Imac once they became available with the 512 nvidia. So far, V12 works well with my current specs. The next week or two might indicate otherwise.

Thanks again,
Steve
Learn and get certified!