Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Missing stair parts even if loaded in library

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, I seem to be having a problem with library parts using AC 11 latest build on win XP.Here is my situation:

I printed a set of sheets for my client yesterday with everything working fine and showing on plan as intended ... BUT since I had to leave, I had a coworker print 2 other sets. Thats were it gets messy. Coming back this morning I check the copies he printed and they're missing the stairs, turns out that all the stairs are now dots on plan as if they were missing EVEN if they are loaded (see attached pictures).

I tried reloading in every way i could think of but nothing seems to do it and my airheaded coworker cant remember what he did.

From what I got he closed AC on my workstation after I left, openned the pln on his worksatation to add a thing or two, closed it and then reopenned it on my worstation again to print it two more times.

On top if it , all the names of the custom parts are blank in the object window (see the next post)

If anyone has any idea of what can be going on I'd greatly appreciate.

LIB TROUBLE.jpg
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable
I assume you have tried removing the specific library in the library manager, then loading it again? It might reaffirm the existence of all the parts perhaps.

Are there any clues on the library loading report?

Unfortunately I have no experience of Macs and their quirks (if it is a system problem), so I'm not sure what else to suggest. Anyone else?
Karl Ottenstein
A few of the possibilities:

Has anyone accessed this office library from a newer version of AC (e.g., AC 12)? The parts may have been converted to a format that your current version no longer recognizes. (I recommend that you have Office Lib 11, Office Lib 12, etc.)

AC could just have royally screwed up the GUID/name matching for the part.

If you do not have the command 'Open Object by Subtype...' in your File >Libraries and Objects submenu, use the Work Environment to get it there. (VERY annoying that GS took this command of the standard WE a few versions ago...it is the ONLY way to open objects that are not-placeable and yet are stored in an LCF file. Also, the only reasonable way to track down your problem.)

Invoke the command, and browse to the subtype corresponding to one of your missing-but-loaded parts. If you cannot figure out the subtype, place a new instance of the named part, open it and read off the subtype in the GDL editor.

You'll see the same name twice, most likely. One will be green, indicating it is loaded - a GUID will show along with the library path. The other will be red, indicating it is in the project, but is missing, but will show the GUID for that it expects that part to have.

Libary parts are supposed to be matched by GUID (the crazy long number string that you'll see), and if not (skipping the long story), then by text name. Clearly, the text name match is not happening for you. Seeing the GUID info above will help tech support figure out what's going on.

Screenshot of the dialog (but without a loaded/missing pair showing) attached.

HTH,
Karl
Picture 1.png
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
I guess I should also add a potential fix. Select the evil red dot, then open object settings and syringe into the correct part. All params should transfer and when you OK out, it should be matched up to the loaded part. (Even if the lib part is missing, the red dot still 'knows' the parameters of the missing part AFAIK.) This should get the mismatched internal ID stuff fixed for you I think?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I had same problem, it occurred only with custom stairs. All teammates have same version of AC, Project Library is on the server, tried multiple times in Teammate & Team Leader modes to reload them.

Re-inserting the stairs from scratch 'fixed' them, fortunately I only had 5 of them.

Tried to Pickup/Inject from the newly inserted instance of the stair into my Evil Orange Dots, but they turned into a cabinet with a sink??? I just deleted them and put the new instance of the stairs in the correct place.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having a problem with the stairs as well. We designed a building in AC11 and then upgraded to AC12 and now the stairs that were created in version 11 are missing. I am using a Intel based Mac, I have tried loading and reloading and moving the folder around and even onto my desktop. The even weirder thing is half the files in the folder do show up in my project but then there's about 30 other objects that do not. Not sure what to try next
Anonymous
Not applicable
Alyssa, I can't speak for AC12, but it was also only some of our Library Parts, just the stairs, also. All other parts in the Project specific folder DID load. Here's what we ended up doing last week: When opening the Project and getting the Objects Not Found box we Removed ALL the Library folders (AC11, Company specific, Project specific, Gardenworks, etc.) completely from the Library Manager. Then, after opening and saving, we went back into the Library Manager and Added them all in again. They have been loading fine since.
Anonymous
Not applicable
We had similar problems not only with custom stairs, but also with custom library parts. Not sure what's going on but Graphisoft Technical support was quick to come up with a fix that, for us at least, seems to work fine
All it took was deleting our user profile in OSX and creating a new clean profile.
As I said, not sure what's going on, maybe so GUID thingy (not to sound to non-techy) or something. It does puzzle me that they are silent on the Archi-Talk forum on this subject.
Anonymous
Not applicable
oh, and I forgot to add, no need to re-insert "missing but there" library parts...the evil dots were reborn as their proper library parts.